Richard: Mike Tintner wrote:
 No one in AGI is aiming for common sense consciousness, are they?

Inasmuch as I understand what you mean by that, yes of course.

Both common sense and consciousness.

As Ben said, it's something like "multisensory integrative consciousness" - i.e. you track a subject/scene with all senses simultaneously and integratedly.

You're crossing a road - you track both the oncoming car and your body with all your senses at once - see a continuous moving image of the car, hear the noise of the engine and tires, possibly smell it if there's a smell of gasoline, have a kinaesthetic sense of your body in relation to the car, including a sense of up/down, left/right etc and are doing "body thinking/mapping" about whether your body and the car will or won't collide if you move at such-and-such speeds, and whether your nerves and muscles can supply the necessary hormones and power in time. and no doubt there's a few other senses involved that I've left out! And all this sensory processing is integrated and cross-referenced and cross-checked - you'd be really disturbed if the car looks as if it's going slowly, but sounds as if it's going fast, just as people are disturbed when they see a card of black hearts.

You guys seem to think this - true common sense consciousness - can all be cracked in a year or two. I think there's probably a lot of good reasons - and therefore major creative problems - why it took a billion years of evolution to achieve.