--- Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I think this one is a package deal fallacy. I can't see how whether
> > humans conspire to weed out wild carrots or not will affect decisions
> > made by future AGI overlords. ;-)
>
> Whether humans conspire to weed out wild carrots impacts whether humans are
> classified as Friendly (or, it would if the wild carrots were sentient).
>
> It is in the future AGI overlords "enlightened self-interest" to be
> Friendly -- so I'm going to assume that they will be.
>
> If they are Friendly and humans are Friendly, I claim that we are in good
> shape.
>
> If humans are not Friendly, it is entirely irrelevant whether the future AGI
> overlords are Friendly or not -- because there is no protection afforded
> under Friendliness to Unfriendly species and we just end up screwing
> ourselves.

How do you propose to make humans Friendly?  I assume this would also have the
effect of ending war, crime, etc.

I know you have made exceptions to the rule that intelligences can't be
reprogrammed against their will, but what if AGI is developed before the
technology to reprogram brains, so you don't have this option?  Or should AGI
be delayed until we do?  Is it even possible to reliably reprogram brains
without AGI?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]