----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Mahoney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] Recap/Summary/Thesis Statement

--- Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Huh?  Why can't an irreversible dynamic be part of an attractor?  (Not
>> that
>> I need it to be)
>
> An attractor is a set of states that are repeated given enough time.

NO!  Easily disprovable by an obvious example.  The sun (moving through
space) is an attractor for the Earth and the other solar planets YET the sun and the other planets are never is the same location (state) twice (due to
the movement of the entire solar system through the universe).

No, the attractor is the center of the sun. The Earth and other planets are
in the basin of attraction but have not yet reached equilibrium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attractor

OK. But my point is that the states of the system are NOT repeated given enough time (as you claimed and then attempted to use).