--- Linas Vepstas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  > >>
> >  > >> There exists a describable, reachable, stable attractor in state
> space
> >  > >> that
> >  > >> is sufficiently Friendly to reduce the risks of AGI to acceptable
> levels
> >  > >
> >  > > Proof: something will happen resulting in zero or more intelligent
> agents.
> >  > > Those agents will be Friendly to each other and themselves, because
> the
> >  > > action
> >  > > of killing agents without replacement is an irreversible dynamic, and
> >  > > therefore cannot be part of an attractor.
> >  >
> >  > Huh?  Why can't an irreversible dynamic be part of an attractor?  (Not
> that
> >  > I need it to be)
> >
> > An attractor is a set of states that are repeated given enough time.  If
> >  agents are killed and not replaced, you can't return to the current
> state.
>
> False. There are certainly attractors that disappear, first
> seen by Ruelle, Takens, 1971 its called a "blue sky catastrophe"
>
> http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Blue-sky_catastrophe

Also the simple point attractor x = 0 in the dynamical system dx/dt = -x with
solution exp(-t) never repeats.  But dynamical systems with real-valued states
are just approximations of a discrete universe, and a discrete system must
repeat.

But I have a different objection to Mark's proposal: the only attractor in an
evolutionary system is a dead planet.  Evolution is not a stable system.  It
is on the boundary between stability and chaos.  Evolution is punctuated by
mass extinctions as well as smaller disasters, plagues, and population
explosions.  Right now I believe we are in the midst of a mass extinction
larger than the Permian extinction.  There are two reasons why I think we are
still alive today: the anthropic principle, and a range of environments wide
enough that no species can inhabit all of them (until now).

Omohundro's goals are stable in an evolutionary system (as long as that system
persists) because they improve fitness.  In Mark's proposal, Friendliness is a
subgoal to fitness because (if I understand correctly) agents that cooperate
with each other are fitter as a group than agents that fight among themselves.
 So an outcome where the Earth is turned into a Dyson sphere of gray goo would
be Friendly in the sense that the biggest army of nanobots kills off all their
unFriendly competition (including all DNA based life) and they cooperate with
each other.

This is not the risk that concerns me.  The real risk is that a single, fully
cooperating system has no evolutionary drive for self improvement.  Having one
world government with perfect harmony among its population is a bad idea
because there is no recourse from it making a bad collective decision.  In
particular, there is no evolutionary pressure to maintain a goal of self
preservation.  You need competition between countries, but unfortunately this
means endless war.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]