Mark Waser wrote:
>> Three factors will govern how the first AGI will behave. First, there will be a strong incentive to build the first AGI as a non-aggressive, non-selfish creature. Absolutely, positively not!

I'm sorry, Mark, but I am completely baffled by this.

Perhaps it is because I was unable to keep up with the previous discussion. Can you back up a little and explain the connection?

Richard Loosemore

Try the following Friendliness implementation on yourself. 1. <The absolute hardest part> *Assume* (just for the purposes of argument) that all of the below are true tautologies
    (only the top line is actually necessary  :-):
Selfish <--> Intelligent <--> Friendly <--> Plays Well With Others <--> Ethical ^ | v Mark's Designed Friendly Religion of Ethics ^ | v Core of any given religion + Unethical/stupid add-ons <--> THE core of all religions 2. Alter your personal definitions of the words/phrases so that each pair *IS* a tautology in your mind (Please, feel free to e-mail me if you need help. This can be *very* tough but with different sticking points for each person). 3. See if you can use these tautologies to start mathematically proving things like:

    * equal rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are
      ethical! OR
    * total heresy alert!  Richard Dawkins is absolutely, positively WRONG

4.  Then try proving that the following is ethical (and failing :-):

    * individual right to property

5. Wait about a week and watch your own personal effectiveness and happiness skyrocket.