YKY Said:

>>The current OpenCyc KB is ~200 Mbs (correct me if I'm wrong).
>>The RAM size of current high-end PCs is ~10 Gbs.
>>My intuition estimates that the current OpenCyc is only about 10%-40% of a
5 year-old human intelligence.
>>Plus, learning requires that we store a lot of hypotheses.  Let's say
1000-10000 times the real KB.
>>That comes to 500Gb - 20Tb.
>>It seems that if we allow several years for RAM size to double a few
times,
>> RAM may have a chance to catch up to the low end.  Obviously not now.

Don't forget about solid state hard drives (SSDs).

Currently Solid State Drives speed up typical database applications by about
30 times.

And that's without stripping out all the old caching overhead code databases
used for handling the order of magnitude speed differences between RAM and
hard drives.

Large Storage Area Network Vendors like EMC are looking to SSD Drives to
eliminate IO bottlenecks in corporate applications where large
datawarehouses reach 20Tb very quickly.

And look for capacity to continue to double about every 18 months driving
the price down very quickly.

And due to higher reliability and lower energy costs to run it won't be too
long before hard drive join the ranks
of 8-track tape players, record players and 5 1/4" diskettes.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci1300939,00.html#

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-fastest.html