FYI: there is still some way to go by shrinking transistors. From current minimum of 45nm half-pitch down to probably 16nm. Possibly even 11nm but that is already questionable. This will ensure some 5 to 10 more years of Moore's low being fueled by transistor shrinking and roughly an order of magnitude growth of performance per fixed price. 11nm is probably the hard limit for transistor shrinking because some very generic research shows that gates of 5nm or less are really way too thin to prevent electrons from tunneling regardless of exact structure and material of the gate.

See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_nanometer for more details.

Regards
Nikolay

Steve Richfield wrote:
Matt,
A couple of comments your post that I generally agree with... On 4/19/08, *Matt Mahoney* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    > 90% of which are glial cells and not (technically) neurons at
    all, though
    > all we care about is whether or not they compute.

    My understanding is they carry passive signals.

The last I heard, the ONLY thing that they know for sure is that when they impale them with an electrode, they only see slowly changing signals and nothing resembling bistable, spikes, etc. Unknown is whether they CAN change rapidly - or perhaps rare rapid changes are their important function?! Theories abound for glial cells, e.g. the one advanced ~4 years ago in Scientific American, where the author asserted that they assisted in the programming of synapses.

    > Moore's law presumed a relatively unchanging architecture and
    rapidly
    > advancing fabrication. This has broken down, now that
    transistors can easily
    > be made SO small that the electrons jump right over the gates.
    Sure there
    > will be further developments, e.g. multi-layer, but the easy
    stuff that
    > Moore's law was build on is now GONE.

    Actually Moore's law holds pretty well back to about 1900 if you
    consider the
    computing power of mechanical adding machines.  (I believe
    Kurzweil studied
    this).  Moore's law is about the cost of computing, not the size of
    transistors.

But, until they figure out something besides transistors to make computers from, Moore's law has worked in recent decades via transistor shrinkage, thereby making them cheaper. My point is that they can't shrink any more, so they aren't going to get any cheaper, except via slow improvements in methods of manufacturing the same (and not smaller/faster) parts.

    > The proposed architecture that Josh and I have been discussing
    could bring
    > this to the market for about the same cost as a PC in a couple
    of years -
    > with adequate funding.

    I've heard that before.

NOT using the SAME fabrication equipment! Other proposals involved new proposed fabrication technologies.

    > 2.  Some rich benefactor will step forward and make this happen
    over the
    > loud objections of millions of devoutly religious.

    Nobody has that much money.  AGI will happen because nobody wants
    to work for
    somebody else.

While I agree with you regarding AGI, there are several people who could easily afford the 10K processor, or a knowledge-based Internet, e.g. Dr. Eliza. These appear to both be necessary as underlying tools to make AGI really work, and should both return a really quick profit - like in the first year or two. Steve Richfield ------------------------------------------------------------------------ *agi* | Archives <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/303/=now> <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/303/> | Modify <http://www.listbox.com/member/?&;> Your Subscription [Powered by Listbox] <http://www.listbox.com>

--

*Nikolay Ognyanov, PhD*
Chief Technology Officer