YKY,

>  > I believe I've solved the fundamental issues behind the Novamente/OpenCog
>  > design...
>
>  It's hard to tell whether you have really solved the AGI problem, at
>  this stage. ;)

Understood...

>  Also, your AGI framework has a lot of non-standard, home-brew stuff
>  (especially the knowledge representation and logic).  I bet there are
>  some merits in your system, but is it really so compelling that
>  everybody has to learn it and do it that way?

I don't claim that the Novamente/OpenCog design is the **only** way ... but I do
note that the different parts are carefully designed to interoperate together
in subtle ways, so replacing any one component w/ some standard system
won't work.

For instance, replacing PLN with some more popular but more limited
probabilistic
logic framework, would break a lot of other stuff...

>  Creating a standard / common framework is not easy.  Right now I think
>  we lack such a consensus.  So the theorists are not working together.

One thing that stuck out at the 2006 AGI Workshop and AGI-08
conference, was the commonality between several different approaches,
for instance

-- my Novamente approach
-- Nick Cassimatis's Polyscheme system
-- Stan Franklin's LIDA approach
-- Sam Adams (IBM) Joshua Blue
-- Alexei Samsonovich's BICA architecture

Not that these are all the same design ... there are very real differences
... but there are also a lot of deep parallels.   Novamente seems to
be more fully fleshed out than these overall, but each of these guys
has thought through specific aspects more deeply than I have.

Also, John Laird (SOAR creator) is moving SOAR in a direction that's a
lot closer to the Goertzel/Cassimatis/Franklin/Adams style system than
his prior approaches ...

All the above approaches are

-- integrative, involving multiple separate components tightly bound
together in a high-level cognitive architecture

-- reliant to some extent on formal inference (along with subsymbolic methods)

-- clearly testable/developable in a virtual worlds setting

I would bet that with appropriate incentives all of the above
researchers could be persuaded to collaborate on a common AI project
-- without it degenerating into some kind of useless
committee-think...

Let's call these approaches LIVE, for short -- Logic-incorporating,
Integrative, Virtually Embodied

On the other hand, when you look at

-- Pei Wang's approach, which is interesting but is fundamentally
committed to a particular form of uncertain logic that no other AGI
approach accepts

-- Selmer Bringsjord's approach, which is founded on the notion that
standard predicate  logic alone is The Answer

-- Hugo de Garis's approach which is based on brain emulation

you're looking at interesting approaches that are not really
compatible with the LIVE approach ... I'd say, you could not viably
bring these guys into a collaborative AI project based on the LIVE
approach...

So, I do think more collaboration and co-thinking could occur than
currently does ... but also that there are limits due to fundamentally
different understandings

OpenCog is general enough to support any approach falling within the
LIVE category, and a number of other sorts of approaches as well
(e.g. a variety of neural net based architectures).  But it is not
**completely** general and doesn't aim to me ... IMO, a completely
general AGI development
framework is just basically, say, "C++ and Linux" ;-)

-- Ben G