And I'd also like to thank Brad for pointing out Skype's API, as I've also being wanting to use a VOIP platform for speech processing and communication. I don't know if Steve is going to end up using it, but it's nice to hear about a useful platform like this.
andi

Quoting Stephen Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi Brad,

I am interested in Skype of course as a VOIP provider for me personally. I have just re-installed the client to chat with a potential collaborator. You propose Skype as a communications backbone for Texai that solves all the problems I foresee with getting past ISPs and home DSL/cable/wireless routers to reach at-home Texai users. And I, as a result, agree that I will evaluate Skype for this purpose should n2n, and all other open-source alternatives fail.

One of my self-imposed constraints is to develop free software (i.e. GPL) and reuse open source solutions. Skype uses a proprietary protocol and is closed-source. I suppose that client software that I write to their Java API can be licensed GPL but the network itself is closed.

On the other hand n2n is GPL v3 and I should be able to borrow the most relevant features of Skype for the Texai peer-to-peer communications backbone that I will implement on top of n2n, should it actually work for me. From the Wikipedia article on Skype:

        * Skype operates on a peer-to-peer model
        * three main entities: supernodes, ordinary nodes and the login server
* each client builds and refreshes a list of reachable nodes known as the host cache.
        * contains IP address and port numbers of supernodes
        * supernodes relay communications to other clients behind a firewall
* any skype client can become a supernode if it has good bandwidth, no firewall and adequate processing power * the Skype user directory is entirely decentralized and distributed among the nodes of the network—i.e., users' computers * which allows the network to scale very easily to large sizes (currently about 240 million users)[44] without a complex centralized infrastructure costly to the Skype Group A good article on the details of these featuresl is here. The most important attributes of Skype are evidence that a peer-to-peer network can:
        * scale to several hundred million users
* be done with no costly complex centralized infrastructureThanks so much for your detailed technical suggestion.
Cheers.
-Steve
 Stephen L. Reed

Artificial Intelligence Researcher