Stephen Reed wrote:

At the time that the Texai bootstrap English dialog system is available, I'll begin fleshing out the hundreds of agencies for which I hope to recruit human mentors. Each agency I establish will have paragraphs of English text to describe its mission, including its relationship with commanding and subordinate agencies. Mentors then will use the dialog system to teach each of their respective agencies the knowledge and skills it requires for its mission. Learned skills will be compiled into Java code for execution. Hopefully this will advance into automatic programming from high level requirements, because programming is a skill which can be taught. Furthermore, I plan agencies whose missions will accomplish recursive self-improvement (e.g. propagate best practices from the discovering agency to all applicable agencies).

This jumped out at me because I just read an article where someone was talking about how we don't know how to program:
http://paulspontifications.blogspot.com/2008/05/under-appreciated-fact-we-dont-know-how.html

There is no real process for it. We don't really know how it works. There are plenty of courses, and it seems like we teach people to do it, but it is a very mysterious thing. A good portion of people just don't get it when they try to learn. Anyway, it is a very hard problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if programming were an AI-complete problem, because it sure seems like programming always involves arbitrary amounts of domain knowledge, theories of mind, and who knows what all else.

But I have to admit I am a fan of compiled programs as part of a set of skills of an intelligent computer agent. The idea showed up in an essay (OK, blog entry) I wrote recently.

Also, I want to thank Stephen for adding to this community. He really stood out at AGI-08 as a level-headed, diligent creative force working toward AGI.

andi