Hi YKY,

You said:

The distributive agents would be owned by different people on the net, who
would want their agents to do different things for them.  This occurs
simultaneously.

We need to distinguish 2 situations:
A)  where all the agents cooperate to solve ONE problem
B)  where agents are solving their own problems

Your scheme would be useful for A.  But it seems that most AGI users would want
B.  Which problem do you intend to solve?

In case B, your scheme would add a lot of complications and whether it'd be
beneficial or not is rather unclear.

I believe the opposite of what you say  I hope that my following explanation
will help converge our thinking.  Let me first emphasize that I plan a vast
multitude of specialized agencies, in which each agency has a particular
mission.  This pattern is adopted from human agencies.  For example, an human
advertising agency has as its mission the preparation of advertising media for
its customers.  Agents, who are governed by the agency, fulfill its mission by
carrying out commanded tasks, responding to perceived events, reporting to
superiors and controlling subordinates.

In the Texai organization I envisage, it would never be the case that all
agents or agencies try to solve the same problem - not (A) above.  Rather, if a
problem arose that is both urgent and sufficiently important, then the agency
capable of solving that problem would commandeer the computing resources of
other, lower priority, agencies.  This is analogous to a natural disaster
affecting a human organization - in a flood, everyone changes roles to move
materials above the water line.  In my plan for Texai, the agents could
cooperate together only to the extent that the problem to be solved could be
decomposed to match the capabilities of particular agencies.  Agents lacking
the capability to help out would be omitted from that job.

>From the standpoint of AGI users, a Texai agent exists for each specialized
>role (i.e. interest, activity-type) that the user wants - (B) above.  My
>current thinking is to a first provide an instant-message chatbot that
>intelligent acquires knowledge and skills.  The user would only require an
>instant messaging client, (e.g. text messaging on a cellphone, Google Chat,
>Yahoo Chat, IRC, AIM, email, etc.).  The user would name one or more Texai
>chatbots and assign them roles (i.e.  sports buddy, family buddy, work buddy,
>cooking buddy, financial buddy, product adviser buddy, matchmaker buddy, etc.
>).  The required servers would, at the kickoff, be supplied by me.  Users
>would be offered a higher level of benefit if they agree to download a Texai
>instance, and to leave it running as much as possible, connected to the net.
>When not providing work for the owning user, it would add its agent-hosting
>server capability to the Texai cloud.

At the time that the Texai bootstrap English dialog system is available, I'll
begin fleshing out the hundreds of agencies for which I hope to recruit human
mentors.  Each agency I establish will have paragraphs of English text to
describe its mission, including its relationship with commanding and
subordinate agencies.  Mentors then will use the dialog system to teach each of
their respective agencies the knowledge and skills it requires for its mission.
  Learned skills will be compiled into Java code for execution.  Hopefully this
will advance into automatic programming from high level requirements, because
programming is a skill which can be taught.  Furthermore, I plan agencies whose
missions will accomplish recursive self-improvement (e.g.  propagate best
practices from the discovering agency to all applicable agencies).

While at Cycorp, I created two previous small versions of the agency graph,
which of course were very much focused on the needs of Cycorp.  Now I am
inspired by the Wikipedia, to work first on agencies that are required for
basic infrastructure and then let mentors, governed by locally-applicable human
law, and governed by consensus, establish agencies as they see fit.

When I get further along on these ideas, especially when I have an initial set
of agencies and missions, I would very much like to vet that organization chart
with the readers of this list, before tying to deploy it.

Cheers.
-Steve

Stephen L. Reed

Artificial Intelligence Researcher