Matt,

I really hope NARS can be simplified, but until you give me the
details, such as how to calculate the truth value in your "converse"
rule, I cannot see how you can do the same things with a simpler
design.

NARS has this conversion rule, which, with the deduction rule, can
"replace" induction/abduction, just as you suggested. However,
conclusions produced in this way usually have lower confidence than
those directly generated by induction/abduction, so this trick is not
that useful in NARS.

This result is discussed in
http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/pub/wang.inheritance_nal.ps , page 27.

For your original claim that "The brain does not implement formal
logic", my brief answers are:

(1) So what? Who said AI must duplicate the brain? Just because we
cannot image another possibility?

(2) In a broad sense, "formal logic" is nothing but
"domain-independent and justifiable data manipulation schemes". I
haven't seen any argument for why AI cannot be achieved by
implementing that. After all, "formal logic" is not limited to
"First-Order Predicate Calculus plus Model Theory".

Pei