But Richard,

1)
none of us are **trying** to predict highly specific properties of the state
of an AGI at a certain point in time, based on the AGIs micro-level
configuration

2)
we are not trying to understand some natural system, we are trying to
**engineer** systems ... arguing that certain natural systems are hard to
predict in some senses is one thing, whereas arguing that some specific kind
of hard-to-predictness is **intrinsic** to intelligence (natural or
engineered) is another

-- Ben G

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Perhaps now that there are other physicists (besides myself) making these
> claims, people in the AGI community will start to take more seriously the
> implications for their own field ....
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026764.100
>
> For those who do not have a New Scientist subscription, the full article
> refers to a paper at http://www.arxiv.org/abs/0809.0151.
>
> Mile Gu et al looked at the possibility of explaining emergent properties
> of Ising glasses and managed to prove that those properties are not
> reducible.
>
> Myself, I do not need the full force of Gu's proof, since I only claim that
> emergent properties can be *practically* impossible to work with.
>
> It is worth noting that his chosen target systems (Ising glasses) are very
> closely linked to some approaches to AGI, since these have been proposed by
> some neural net people as the fundamental core of their approach.
>
> I am sure that I can quote a short extract from the full NS article without
> treading on the New Scientist copyright.  It is illuminating because what Gu
> et al refer to is the problem of calculating the lowest energy state of the
> system, which approximately corresponds to the state of maximum
> "understanding" in the class of systems that I am most interested in:
>
> BEGIN QUOTE:
>
> Using the model, the team focused on whether the pattern that the atoms
> adopt under various scenarios, such as a state of lowest energy, could be
> calculated from knowledge of those forces. They found that in some
> scenarios, the pattern of atoms could not be calculated from knowledge of
> the forces - even given unlimited computing power. In mathematical terms,
> the system is considered "formally undecidable".
>
> "We were able to find a number of properties that were simply decoupled
> from the fundamental interactions," says Gu. Even some really simple
> properties of the model, such as the fraction of atoms oriented in one
> direction, cannot be computed.
>
> This result, says Gu, shows that some of the models scientists use to
> simulate physical systems may actually have properties that cannot be linked
> to the behaviour of their parts (www.arxiv.org/abs/0809.0151). This, in
> turn, may help explain why our description of nature operates at many
> levels, rather than working from just one. "A 'theory of everything' might
> not explain all natural phenomena," says Gu. "Real understanding may require
> further experiments and intuition at every level."
>
> Some physicists think the work offers a promising scientific boost for the
> delicate issue of emergence, which tends to get swamped with philosophical
> arguments. John Barrow at the University of Cambridge calls the results
> "really interesting", but thinks one element of the proof needs further
> study. He points out that Gu and colleagues derived their result by studying
> an infinite system, rather than one of large but finite size, like most
> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson