I didn't read that book but I've read dozens of his papers ... it's cool
stuff but does not convince me that engineering AGI is impossible ...
however when I debated this with Stu F2F I'd say neither of us convinced
each other ;-) ...

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> This is fine and interesting, but hasn't anybody yet read Kauffman's
> Reinventing the Sacred (publ this year)? The entire book is devoted to this
> theme and treats it globally, ranging  from this kind of emergence in
> physics, to emergence/evolution of natural species, to emergence/deliberate
> creativity in the economy and human thinking. Kauffman systematically - and
> correctly - argues that the entire, current mechanistic worldview of science
> is quite inadequate to dealing with and explaining creativity in every form
> throughout the world and at every level of evolution.  Kauffman also
> explicitly deals with the kind of problems AGI must solve if it is to be
> AGI.
>
> In fact, everything is interrelated here. Ben argues:
>
> "we are not trying to understand some natural system, we are trying to
> **engineer** systems "
>
> Well, yes, but how you get emergent physical properties of matter, and how
> you get species evolving from each other with "creative," scientifically
> unpredictable new organs and features , can be *treated*  as
> design/engineering problems (even though, of course, nature was the
> "designer").
>
> In fact, AGI *should* be doing this - should be understanding how its
> particular problem of getting a machine to be creative, fits in with the
> science-wide problem of understanding creativity in all its forms. The two
> are mutually enriching, (indeed mandatory when it comes to a) the human and
> animal brain's creativity and an AGI's and b)  the evolution of the brain
> and the evolutionary path of AGI's).
>

> Richard:>
>
>> Perhaps now that there are other physicists (besides myself) making these
>> claims, people in the AGI community will start to take more seriously the
>> implications for their own field ....
>>
>> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026764.100
>>
>> For those who do not have a New Scientist subscription, the full article
>> refers to a paper at http://www.arxiv.org/abs/0809.0151.
>>
>> Mile Gu et al looked at the possibility of explaining emergent properties
>> of Ising glasses and managed to prove that those properties are not
>> reducible.
>>
>> Myself, I do not need the full force of Gu's proof, since I only claim
>> that emergent properties can be *practically* impossible to work with.
>>
>> It is worth noting that his chosen target systems (Ising glasses) are very
>> closely linked to some approaches to AGI, since these have been proposed by
>> some neural net people as the fundamental core of their approach.
>>
>> I am sure that I can quote a short extract from the full NS article
>> without treading on the New Scientist copyright.  It is illuminating because
>> what Gu et al refer to is the problem of calculating the lowest energy state
>> of the system, which approximately corresponds to the state of maximum
>> "understanding" in the class of systems that I am most interested in:
>>
>> BEGIN QUOTE:

> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson