Mike Tintner wrote,

You don't seem to understand creative/emergent problems (and I find this
certainly not universal, but v. common here).

If your chess-playing AGI is to tackle a creative/emergent  problem (at a
fairly minor level) re chess - it would have to be something like: "find a
new way for chess pieces to move - and therefore develop a new form of
chess"   (without any preparation other than some knowledge about different
rules and how different pieces in different games move).  Or something like
"get your opponent to take back his move before he removes his hand from the

piece"  - where some use of psychology, say, might be appropriate rather
than anything to do directly with chess itself.
<<<

In your example you leave the domain of chess rules.
There *are* already emergent problems just within the domain of chess.
For example I could see, that my chess program tends to move the queen too
early.
Or it tends to attack the other side too late and so on. The programmer will
then have the difficult
task to change heuristics and parameters of the program to get the right
emergent behavior.
But this is possible.

I think you suppose that creativity is something very strange and mythical
and cannot be done by machines.
I don't think so. Creativity is mainly the ability to use and combine *all*
the pieces of knowledge you have.
The creativity of humans seems to be so mythical just because the knowledge
data base is so huge. Remember how many bits your brain receives every
second for many years!
A chess program has only knowledge of chess. And that's the main reason it
just can do chess. But within chess, it can be creative.

You see an inherent algorithmic problem to obtain creativity but it is in
fact just mainly a problem of knowledge.

So has the chess program the same creativity as a human if you are fair and
restrict just to the domain and knowledge of chess?
The answer is yes! Very good experts of chess often say that a certain move
of a chess program is creative, spirited, clever and so on.

- Matthias