Vlad,

Thanks for your below reply to my prior email of Tue 10/21/2008 7:08 PM

I agreed with most of your reply.  There are only two major issues upon
which I wanted further confirmation, clarification, or comment.

1. WHY C(N,S) IS DIVIDED BY T(N,S,O) TO FORM A LOWER BOUNDS FOR A(N,S,O)

You have stated that C(N,S) / T(N,S,O) is a lower bounds for the value
A(N,S,O) where A is the number of sets of length S (which I will also refer
to as "assemblies") that can be formed from N nodes, where none of the A
assemblies overlap the population of any other of such assemblies by an
overlap of O or larger.

I want to see if my understanding of this is correct.  I understand what
C(N,S) is.  Thanks to your explanations I think I understand what T(N,S,O)
is.  And as is explained below under heading 2, I think I understand why
T(N,S,O) is likely to over count the number of assemblies that impermissibly
overlap the population of any allowed assembly that is counted as part of A.

But until a few minutes ago I didn't understand the mathematical bases for

A => C(N,S) / T(N,S,O)

I understood why T(N,S,O) could be subtracted from C(N,S), but not why
should be its divisor.

Now I think I do.  PLEASE CONFIRM IF MY NEW UNDERSTANDING IS CORRECT.

For purposes of simplicity, until I state otherwise let us assume there is
no multiple counting of excluded assemblies in the calculation of T(N,S,O),
and, thus, that T(N,S,O) is exact.

As I understand your argument you are saying every time you increase the
count of allowable assemblies by 1, you increase the count of unallowable
assemblies --- i.e., those having an impermissible overlap --- by T.

Thus if you had A allowable assemblies, you would have A x T unallowable
assemblies and, thus,

A + A x T = C(N,S)

This says all the allowable and unallowable sets of length S would equal the
total number of different possible sets of length S that can be made from N
elements.

If one solves this for A one gets

A(1 + T) = C(N,S)

A = C(N,S) / (1 + T)

And since T is normally much, much larger than 1, we can forget the 1 to
give your formula

A = C(N,S) / T

Now lets take into account the fact that it appears T(N,S,O) is normally
larger than the number of actual sets excluded by the addition of each
allowable set.  That makes A smaller than it should be in the above equation
and thus, changes the equation to

A => C(N,S) / T

Which is equivalent to saying C(N,S) / T is a lower bounds for A, just as
you have been saying.

IS THIS EXPLANATION CORRECT?

2. THE SOURCE OF THE OVER COUNTING ASSOCIATED WITH T(S,N,O)

I think I understand why there would be over counting in the formula
T(N,S,O) used in your formula A => C(N,S) / T(N,S,O). It appears to results
from the fact that --- when you calculate T for a given allowable assembly
of length S using the formula:

T(N,S,O) = SUM FROM X =O TO S OF C(S,X)*C(N-S,S-X)

to estimate the number T of possible assemblies that have impermissible
overlap with the given allowable assembly --- it would appear that some
assemblies counted as excluded by an iteration of T with a smaller value of
X would also be counted as excluded in other iterations having a larger
value of X.  This is because all the overlapping sub-combinations C(S,X)
that would occur for a smaller value of X, would also occur as part of one
or more of the sub-combinations C(S,X) that would occur for a larger value
of X.  Thus, T would create a number that is larger than the actual number
of assemblies that would have impermissible overlap with a given allowable
assembly.

IS THIS CORRECT?

IS THERE ANY OTHER SOURCE OF OVERCOUNTING?

I though their might also be over counting because it appears --- as is
stated under heading 1 --- that in the formula A => C(N,S) / T(N,S,O), T is
implicitly calculated for each allowable assembly in A, and I though their
might be overlap between the count T of excluded assembles made for
different allowable assemblies.

But it now appears to me that since none of the allowable assemblies share
any overlaps X of length O to S with any other allowable set, it would
appear that there would be no overlap between any of the T(N,S,O) assemblies
counted as being unallowable for any first allowed assembly and those
calculated as unallowable for any second allowed assembly.  That is, none of
the C(S,X) sub-combinations, with X > O, that could be made from any first
allowable assembly of length S, would be shared with any other allowable
assemblies, meaning that none of the assemblies excluded by the calculation
of T for one allowable assembly, could be included in the calculation of T
for another allowable assembly.

IS THIS CORRECT?

Finally, I have to ask if you came up with the equation A => C(N,S) / T
yourself, or if you got it from some other source (and if so which source).
I AM VERY THANKFUL IF YOU FOUND IT FROM ANOTHER SOURCE, BUT IF YOU
CALCULATED IT YOURSELF, YOU MUST BE VERY TALENTED, INDEED.

Either way I look forward to your confirmation, comments, or corrections
about what I have said in this email, and I thank you for your efforts to
enlight me.

Ed Porter