"Your intuition is dead wrong based on the last decades of work in
automated theorem proving!!"

Ben,

Thanks... though I do find that rather strange... can you cite any
particular references?

The reason I find it surprising, is that it suggests the existence of
actual shortcuts, rather than only heuristics that work in the domains
we're interested in but which become useless on random problems. If
these shortcuts exist, I wonder, could they be enumerated by some
brute-force method?

--Abram