But: it seems to me that, in the same sense that AIXI is incapable of
"understanding" proofs about uncomputable numbers, **so are we humans** ...

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Yes, that is completely true. I should have worded myself more clearly.
>
> Ben,
>
> Matt has sorted out the mistake you are referring to. What I meant was
> that AIXI is incapable of understanding the proof, not that it is
> incapable of producing it. Another way of describing it: AIXI could
> learn to accurately mimic the way humans talk about uncomputable
> entities, but it would never invent these things on its own.
>
> --Abram
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 10/18/08, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> No, I do not claim that computer theorem-provers cannot
> >> prove Goedel's Theorem. It has been done. The objection applies
> >> specifically to AIXI-- AIXI cannot prove goedel's theorem.
> >
> > Yes it can. It just can't understand its own proof in the sense of
> Tarski's undefinability theorem.
> >
> > Construct a "predictive" AIXI environment as follows: the environment
> output symbol does not depend on anything the agent does. However, the agent
> receives a reward when its output symbol matches the next symbol input from
> the environment. Thus, the environment can be modeled as a string that the
> agent has the goal of compressing.
> >
> > Now encode in the environment a series of theorems followed by their
> proofs. Since proofs can be mechanically checked, and therefore found given
> enough time (if the proof exists), then the optimal strategy for the agent,
> according to AIXI is to guess that the environment receives as input a
> series of theorems and that the environment then proves them and outputs the
> proof. AIXI then replicates its guess, thus correctly predicting the proofs
> and maximizing its reward. To prove Goedel's theorem, we simply encode it
> into the environment after a series of other theorems and their proofs.
> >
> > -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson