My statement was

***
if you take any uncomputable universe U, there necessarily exists some
computable universe C so that

1) there is no way to distinguish U from C based on any finite set of
finite-precision observations

2) there is no finite set of sentences in any natural or formal language
(where by language, I mean a series of symbols chosen from some discrete
alphabet) that can applies to U but does not apply also to C
***

This seems to incorporate the assumption of a "finite period of time"
because a finite set of sentences or observations must occur during a finite
period of time.

-- Ben G

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> I agree that these issues don't need to have much to do with
> implementation... William Pearson convinced me of that, since his
> framework is about as general as general can get. His idea is to
> search the space of *internal* programs rather than *external* ones,
> so that we aren't assuming that the universe is computable, we are
> just assuming that *we* are. This is like the "Goedel Machine", except
> Will's doesn't need to prove the correctness of its next version, so
> it wouldn't run into the incompleteness of its logic. So, one can say,
> "If there is an AGI program that can be implemented on this hardware,
> then we can find it if we set up a good enough search."
>
> Of course, "good enough search" is highly nontrivial. The point is, it
> circumvents all the foundational logical issues by saying that if
> logic X really does work better than logic Y, the machine should
> eventually notice and switch, assuming it has time/resources to try
> both. (Again, if I could formalize this for the limit of infinite
> computational resources, I'd be happy...)
>
> But, on to those philosophical issues. Generally, all I'm arguing is
> that an AGI should be able to admit the possibility of an uncomputable
> reality, like you just did.
>
> I am not sure about your statements 1 and 2. Generally responding,
> I'll point out that uncomputable models may compress the data better
> than computable ones. (A practical example would be fractal
> compression of images. Decompression is not exactly a computation
> because it never halts, we just cut it off at a point at which the
> approximation to the fractal is good.) But more specifically, I am not
> sure your statements are true... can you explain how they would apply
> to Wei Dai's example of a black box that outputs solutions to the
> halting problem? Are you assuming a universe that ends in finite time,
> so that the box always has only a finite number of queries? Otherwise,
> it is consistent to assume that for any program P, the box is
> eventually queried about its halting. Then, the universal statement
> "The box is always right" couldn't hold in any computable version of
> U.
>
> --Abram
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, if we live in a universe that has Turing-uncomputable physics, then
> > obviously AIXI is not necessarily going to be capable of adequately
> dealing
> > with that universe ... and nor is AGI based on digital computer programs
> > necessarily going to be able to equal human intelligence.
> >
> > In that case, we might need to articulate new computational models
> > reflecting the actual properties of the universe (i.e. new models that
> > relate to the newly-understood universe, the same way that AIXI relates
> > an assumed-computable universe).  And we might need to build new kinds of
> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson