Ben,

I agree that these issues don't need to have much to do with
implementation... William Pearson convinced me of that, since his
framework is about as general as general can get. His idea is to
search the space of *internal* programs rather than *external* ones,
so that we aren't assuming that the universe is computable, we are
just assuming that *we* are. This is like the "Goedel Machine", except
Will's doesn't need to prove the correctness of its next version, so
it wouldn't run into the incompleteness of its logic. So, one can say,
"If there is an AGI program that can be implemented on this hardware,
then we can find it if we set up a good enough search."

Of course, "good enough search" is highly nontrivial. The point is, it
circumvents all the foundational logical issues by saying that if
logic X really does work better than logic Y, the machine should
eventually notice and switch, assuming it has time/resources to try
both. (Again, if I could formalize this for the limit of infinite
computational resources, I'd be happy...)

But, on to those philosophical issues. Generally, all I'm arguing is
that an AGI should be able to admit the possibility of an uncomputable
reality, like you just did.

I am not sure about your statements 1 and 2. Generally responding,
I'll point out that uncomputable models may compress the data better
than computable ones. (A practical example would be fractal
compression of images. Decompression is not exactly a computation
because it never halts, we just cut it off at a point at which the
approximation to the fractal is good.) But more specifically, I am not
sure your statements are true... can you explain how they would apply
to Wei Dai's example of a black box that outputs solutions to the
halting problem? Are you assuming a universe that ends in finite time,
so that the box always has only a finite number of queries? Otherwise,
it is consistent to assume that for any program P, the box is
eventually queried about its halting. Then, the universal statement
"The box is always right" couldn't hold in any computable version of
U.

--Abram