>> It is really not true that there is a set of simple rules adequate to tell
>> people how to evaluate scientific results effectively.

Get the book and then speak from a position of knowledge by telling me
something that you believe it is missing.  When I cite a specific example that
you can go and verify or disprove, it is not an opinion but a valid data point
(and your perception of my vehemence and/or confidence and your personal
reaction to it are totally irrelevant).  The fact that you can make a statement
like this from a position of total ignorance when I cite a specific example is
a clear example of not following basic scientific principles.  You can be
insulted all you like but that is not what a good scientist would do on a good
day -- it is simply lazy and bad science.

>> As often occurs, there may be rules that tell you how to handle 80% of cases
>> (or whatever), but then the remainder of the cases are harder and require
>> actual judgment.

Is it that the rules don't have 100% coverage or is that it isn't always clear
how to appropriately apply the rules and that is where the questions come in?
There is a huge difference between the two cases -- and your statement "no one
knows what the rules are" argues for the former not the latter.  I'd be more
than willing to accept the latter -- but the former is an embarrassment.  Do
you really mean to contend the former?

>> It is possible I inaccurately remembered an anecdote from Feynman's book,
>> but that's irrelevant to my point.

No, you accurately remembered the anecdote.  As I recall, Feynman was
expressing frustration at the slowness of the process -- particularly because
no one would consider his hypothesis enough to perform the experiments
necessary to determine whether the point was an outlier or not.  Not performing
the experiment was an unfortunate choice of trade-offs (since I'm sure that
they were doing something else that they deemed more likely to produce
worthwhile results) but accepting his theory without first proving that the
outlier was indeed an outlier (regardless of his "intelligence") would have
been far worse and directly contrary to the scientific method.

>> Wow, that is quite an insult.  So you're calling me an incompetent in my
>> profession now.

It depends.  Are you going to continue promoting something as inexcusable as
saying that theory should trump data (because of the source of the theory)?  I
was quite clear that I was criticizing a very specific action.  Are you going
to continue to defend that improper action?

And why don't we keep this on the level of scientific debate rather than
arguing insults and vehemence and confidence?  That's not particularly good
science either.