I am very impressed about the performance of humans in chess compared to
computer chess.

The computer steps through millions(!) of positions per second. And even if
the best chess players say they only evaluate max 3 positions per second I
am sure that this cannot be true because there are so many traps in chess
which must be considered.

I think humans represent chess by a huge number of *visual* patterns. The
chessboard is 8x8 squares. Probably, a human considers all 2x2, 3x3 4x4 and
even more subsets of the chessboard at once beside the possible moves. We
see if a pawn is alone or if a knight is at the edge of the board. We see if
the pawns are in a diagonal and much more. I would guess that the human
brain observes many thousands of visual patterns in a single position.

This is the only explanation for me why the best chess players still have a
little chance to win against computers.

Even a beginner who never has played chess would see some patterns in the
initial position. All pieces with the same color are together at different
sides. All pawns of the same color are in the same raw and so on. The
interesting question is why the beginner can already see regularities. I
think the human has a lot of visual bias which is also useful to see
patterns in chess. On the other hand visual embodied experience is of course
important too. In my opinion, sophisticated vision is much more important
for an artificial human than natural language understanding

-Matthias