--- On Sat, 10/25/08, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Scientists choose experiments to maximize information
> > gain. There is no
> > reason that machine learning algorithms couldn't
> > do this, but often they don't.
>
> Heh.  I would say that scientists attempt to do this and
> machine learning
> algorithms should do it.
>
> So where is the difference other than in the quality of
> implementation (i.e.
> "other than who performs it, of course").

There is no difference. I originally distinguished machine learning because all
of the usual algorithms depend on minimizing the complexity of the hypothesis
space. For example, we use neural networks with the minimum number of
connections to learn the training data because we want to avoid over fitting.
Likewise, decision trees and rule learning algorithms like RIPPER try to find
the minimum number of rules that fit the data. I knew about clustering
algorithms, but not why they worked. I learned all these different strategies
for various algorithms in a machine learning course I took, but was unaware of
the general principle and the reasoning behind it until I learned about AIXI.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]