Matt Mahoney wrote:
--- On Sat, 11/15/08, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is equivalent to your prediction #2 where connecting the output
of neurons that respond to the sound of a cello to the input of
neurons that respond to red would cause a cello to sound red. We
should expect the effect to be temporary.

I'm not sure how this demonstrates consciousness. How do you test
that the subject actually experiences redness at the sound of a
cello, rather than just behaving as if experiencing redness, for
example, claiming to hear red?
You misunderstand the experiment in a very intersting way!

This experiment has to be done on the *skeptic* herself!

The prediction is that if *you* get your brain rewired,
*you* will experience this.

How do you know what I experience, as opposed to what I claim to experience?

That is exactly the question you started with, so you haven't gotten anywhere.
I don't need proof that I experience things. I already have that belief
programmed into my brain.

Huh?

Now what are we talking about... I am confused: I was talking about proving my prediction. I simply replied to your doubt about whether a "subject" woudl be experiencing the predicted effects, or just producing language consistent with it. I gave you a solution by pointing out that anyone who had an interest in the prediction could themselves join in and be a subject. That seemed to answer your original question.

Richard Loosemore