Matt,

Although Richard's paper places considerable focus the zombie/non-zombie
distinction, its pronouncements do not appear to be so limited.  For
example, its discussion of the analysis of qualia bottoming out is not so
limited, since presumably qualia and their associated conscious experience
only occur in Non-Zombies.

The paper states in the last sentence of its section on page 5 entitled
"Implications" that

"...we can never say exactly what the phenomena of consciousness are, in the
way we give scientific explanation for other things."

As I said in my prior post, this is one of the major points to which I
disagree, and it does not seem to be limited to the zombie/non-zombie
distinction, since all the zombie/non-zombie distinction has to do is
provide a basis for distinguishing between zombies and non-zombies, and has
no relevance to what the phenomena of consciousness are beyond that.

I disagree with the above quote, because although our current technical
capabilities decrease the extent to which we can make explanations about the
phenomena of consciousness, I believe we already can give initial
explanations for many aspects of consciousness and I believe that within the
next 20 to 40 years we will be able to give much greater explanations.

I admit that currently there are problems in making the Zombie/non-zombie
distinction.  But this same limitation arguably applies to making the
zombie/non-zombie distinction for humans as well as AGI's.

Based on my own subjective experience, I believe I have a consciousness, and
as Richard points out, it reasonable to consider that subjective experience
as real as anything else, some would say even more real than anything else.
Since I assume other humans have brainware similar to my own, --- and since
I outward manifestations of substantial similarities between the way the
minds and emotions of other humans appear to work, and the way my mind
appears to me to work --- I assume most other humans are not Zombies.

But after serious brain damage, we are told by doctors such as Antonio
Damasio, humans can become zombies.  And we have to face medical and moral
decisions about when to pull the plug on such humans, as in the famous case
of Terri Schiavo.  The current medical and political community bases their
zombie/non-zombie decisions for humans based on a partial understanding of
what "human" consciousness is, and current measurements they can make
indicating whether or not such a consciousness exists.

When it comes to determining whether machines have consciousness of a type
that warrants better treatment than Terri Schiavo, such decision will
probably be based on the advanced understanding of consciousness that we
will develop in the coming decades.

Like Richard, I do not believe the attribute of human consciousness we hold
so dear are a mere artifact.  But I don't put much faith in his definition
of consciousness as the ability to sensing something is real even though
analyze of it bottoms out.

I believe the sense of awareness humans call consciousness is essential to
power of the computation we call the human mind.  I believe a human-like
consciousness arises from the massively self-aware computation --- having an
internal bandwidth of over 1 million DVD channel/second --- inherent in a
massively parallel spreading activation system like the human brain --- when
a proper mechanism is available for rapidly successively selecting certain
items for broad activation in a relatively coherent manner based on the
competitive relevance or match to current goals or drives of the system of
competing assemblies of activation, and/or based on the current importance
and valence of the emotional associations of such assemblies.

The activations that are most conscious, are sufficiently broad that they
dynamically activate experiential memories and patterns representing the
grounded meaning of the conscious concept.  The effect of prior activations
on the brain state, tend to favor the activations of those aspects of a
currently conscious concept's meaning that are most relevant to the current
context.  This contextually relevant grounding and the massively parallel
dynamic state of activation and its retention of various degrees and
patterns of activation over time, allows the consciousness to have a sense
of being aware of many things at once, and of extending between points in
time and space.

People have asked for centuries, what is it inside our mind that seems to
watch the show provided by our senses.  The answer is the tens of billions
of neurons and trillion of synapses that respond to the flood of sensory
information, and store selected portions of it in short, mid, and then long
term memory, to weave a story out of it which is labeled with recognized
patterns, and patterns of explanation.

Thus, I believe that the conscious/subconscious theater of the mind, with
its reactive audience of billions of neurons, and its ability to rapidly
select in succession which groups in the audience gets the microphone and
spot light, creates a mindbogglingly complex, interwoven, self aware
computation this is consciousness.

Barring some sort of major setback to our civilization I firmly believe than
in 20 to 40 years we will understand the computational nature and origin of
consciousness, and we will have tools capable of monitoring the brian in
much greater detail, making the zombie/non-zombie distinction in humans much
easier.  I also believe that we could design AGI's that let us make similar
measurements on their brains, and that from such measurements or analysis we
would be able to guess fairly well where on the zombie/non-zombie continuum
they reside.

Ed Porter