--- On Sat, 11/15/08, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matt Mahoney wrote:

> >> You misunderstand the experiment in a very intersting way!
> >>
> >> This experiment has to be done on the *skeptic* herself!
> >>
> >> The prediction is that if *you* get your brain rewired,
> >> *you* will experience this.
> >
> > How do you know what I experience, as opposed to what I claim to experience?
> >
> > That is exactly the question you started with, so you
> haven't gotten anywhere. I don't need proof that I
> experience things. I already have that belief programmed
> into my brain.
>
> Huh?
>
> Now what are we talking about... I am confused:  I was
> talking about proving my prediction.  I simply replied to
> your doubt about whether a "subject" woudl be
> experiencing the predicted effects, or just producing
> language consistent with it.  I gave you a solution by
> pointing out that anyone who had an interest in the
> prediction could themselves join in and be a subject.  That
> seemed to answer your original question.

You are confusing truth and belief. I am not asking you to make me believe that
consciousness (that which distinguishes you from a philosophical zombie)
exists. I already believe that. I am asking you to prove it. You haven't done
that. I don't believe you can prove the existence of anything that is both
detectable and not detectable.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]