Hmmm...

I skimmed over the paper at

http://wpcarey.asu.edu/pubs/index.cfm

and I have to say I agree with the skeptics.

I don't doubt that this guy has made significant contributions in
other areas of science and engineering, but this paper displeases me a
great deal, due to making big claims of originality for ideas that are
actually very old hat, and bolstering these claims via attacking a
"straw man" of simplistic connectionism.

The idea that engineering control theory could be applicable to the
brain is hardly original.

As one among many, many examples, James Albus has published a lot of
stuff along these lines since the 1970s

http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/albus/publications.htm

including a great talk at the recent AAAI BICA symposium focusing on
brain theory specifically

http://binf.gmu.edu/~asamsono/bica/albus.htm

Also, Stephen Grossberg's brain theories, going back to the 60s, have
posed a strong role for controllers and analogues of engineering style
control theory in the brain.

The simplistic "connectionism" this author argues against **is** a
real point of view held by some theorists, but it's hardly a consensus
... it's kind of an unpopular, 20-years-old, worn-out meme by now...

And his proposed alternative is simply far less fleshed out that
Grossberg's , Albus's or many other theorists' ideas with similar (but
deeper and broader) conceptual foundations...

Double thumbs down: not for wrongheadedness, but for excessive claims
of originality plus egregious straw man arguments...

-- Ben G

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM, BillK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yeah.  Great headline -- "Man beats dead horse beyond death!"
>>
>> I'm sure that there will be more details at 11.
>>
>> Though I am curious . . . .  BillK, why did you think that this was worth
>> posting?
>>

> ???  Did you read the article?
>
> -----------------------
> Quote:
> In the late '90s, Asim Roy, a professor of information systems at
> Arizona State University, began to write a paper on a new brain
> theory. Now, 10 years later and after several rejections and
> resubmissions, the paper "Connectionism, Controllers, and a Brain
> Theory" has finally been published in the November issue of IEEE
> Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part A: Systems and
> Humans.
>
> Roy's theory undermines the roots of connectionism, and that's why his
> ideas have experienced a tremendous amount of resistance from the
> cognitive science community. For the past 15 years, Roy has engaged
> researchers in public debates, in which it's usually him arguing
> against a dozen or so connectionist researchers. Roy says he wasn't
> surprised at the resistance, though.
>
> "I was attempting to take down their whole body of science," he
> explained. "So I would probably have behaved the same way if I were in
> their shoes."
>
> No matter exactly where or what the brain controllers are, Roy hopes
> that his theory will enable research on new kinds of learning
> algorithms. Currently, restrictions such as local and memoryless
> learning have limited AI designers, but these concepts are derived
> directly from that idea that control is local, not high-level.
> Possibly, a controller-based theory could lead to the development of
> truly autonomous learning systems, and a next generation of
> intelligent robots.
>
>  The sentiment that the "science is stuck" is becoming common to AI
> researchers. In July 2007, the National Science Foundation (NSF)
> hosted a workshop on the "Future Challenges for the Science and
> Engineering of Learning." The NSF's summary of the "Open Questions in
> Both Biological and Machine Learning" [see below] from the workshop
> emphasizes the limitations in current approaches to machine learning,
> especially when compared with biological learners' ability to learn
> autonomously under their own self-supervision:
>
> "Virtually all current approaches to machine learning typically
> require a human supervisor to design the learning architecture, select
> the training examples, design the form of the representation of the
> training examples, choose the learning algorithm, set the learning
> parameters, decide when to stop learning, and choose the way in which
> the performance of the learning algorithm is evaluated. This strong
> dependence on human supervision is greatly retarding the development
> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert
Heinlein