Harry,

Like most words, "information," is used differently by different people at
different time.

It can be used to describe the extent to which a given communication between
two computing entities conveys knowledge to the receiving entity.  In this
case, something only has information if the receiving entity can understand
what information it is conveying.  Information can often be conveyed
efficiently, when the receiving entity has enough knowledge about whatever
is being discussed to imply much more about it that what is literally said
in the transmitted message. This fits with you description about the fact
that the same pile of rocks can either convey or not convey information, and
in that case the degree to which something conveys information is arguably
orthogonal to what it is composed of in terms of matter or energy, and
depends on the characteristics of the receiving entity.

But, one can argue that all the particles of the physical world, can be
viewed as transmitting or receiving entities, or communications between
them.  And the laws of physics tell the receiving particles what meanings
the received communication are to have.  Thus, in this sense all of physical
reality, including matter, can be considered to have information, and
information would not be orthogonal to matter.

I am sure others on this list could describe this better.

Ed Porter