OTOH, there is no possible real-world test to distinguish a "true
random" sequence from a high-algorithmic-information quasi-random
sequence....

So I don't find this argument very convincing...

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Hector Zenil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> But quantum theory does appear to be directly related to limits of the
>>> computations of physical reality.  The uncertainty theory and the
>>> quantization of quantum states are limitations on what can be computed by
>>> physical reality.
>>
>> Not really.  They're limitations on what  measurements of physical
>> reality can be simultaneously made.
>>
>> Quantum systems can compute *exactly* the class of Turing computable
>> functions ... this has been proved according to standard quantum
>> mechanics math.  however, there are some things they can compute
>> faster than any Turing machine, in the average case but not the worst
>> case.
>>

> Sorry, I am not really following the discussion but I just read that
> there is some misinterpretation here. It is the standard model of
> quantum computation that effectively computes exactly the Turing
> computable functions, but that was almost hand tailored to do so,
> perhaps because adding to the theory an assumption of continuum
> measurability was already too much (i.e. distinguishing infinitely
> close quantum states). But that is far from the claim that quantum
> systems can compute exactly the class of Turing computable functions.
> Actually the Hilbert space and the superposition of particles in an
> infinite number of states would suggest exactly the opposite. While
> the standard model of quantum computation only considers a
> superposition of 2 states (the so-called qubit, capable of
> entanglement in 0 and 1). But even if you stick to the standard model
> of quantum computation, the "proof" that it computes exactly the set
> of recursive functions [Feynman, Deutsch] can be put in jeopardy very
> easy : Turing machines are unable to produce non-deterministic
> randomness, something that quantum computers do as an intrinsic
> property of quantum mechanics (not only because of measure limitations
> of the kind of the Heisenberg principle but by quantum non-locality,
> i.e. the violation of Bell's theorem). I just exhibited a non-Turing
> computable function that standard quantum computers compute...
> [Calude, Casti]
>

>>> But, I am old fashioned enough to be more interested in things about the
>>> brain and AGI that are supported by what would traditionally be considered
>>> "scientific evidence" or by what can be reasoned or designed from such
>>> evidence.
>>>
>>> If there is any thing that would fit under those headings to support the
>>> notion of the brain either being infinite, or being an antenna that receives
>>> decodable information from some infinite-information-content source, I would
>>> love to hear it.
>

> You and/or other people might be interested in a paper of mine
> published some time ago on the possible computational power of the
> human mind and the way to encode infinite information in the brain:
>
> http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0605065

> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx