On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Mike Tintner <tint...@blueyonder.co.uk>wrote:

>  Dave:You can't solve the problems with your approach either
>
> This is based on knowledge of what examples? Zero?

It is based on the fact that you have refused to show how you deal with
uncertainty. You haven't even conceded that there is uncertainty. I know for
a fact that your method cannot solve the uncertainty, because it doesn't
even consider that there might be any uncertainty. It is not a solution to
anything. It is a mere suggestion of a way to compare objects. It isn't even
a way to match them! So, when you're done comparing, your method only says
it is different by <this> much. Well, what the hell does that do for you?
Nothing at all. So, clearly my statement that your approach doesn't solve
anything is well based. Yet, your claim that my approach is wrong is very
poorly based. Your main disagreement is my simplification of the problem.
That doesn't mean anything. I can go back and forth between the simple
version and the more complex version whenever I want to after I've gained
understanding through experiments on the simpler version. There is nothing
wrong with the approach I am taking. It is completely necessary to study the
nature of the problems and the principles that can solve the problems.

> I have given you one instance of s.o. [a technologist not a philosopher
> like me] who is if only in broad principle, trying to proceed in
> a non-encoding, analog-comparison direction. There must be others who are
> however crudely trying and considering what can be broadly classified as
> analog approaches. How much do you know, or have you even thought about such
> approaches? [Of course, computing doesn't have to be either/or
> analog-digital but can be both]

the approaches are equivalent. I don't even say that my approach is digital.
If I find a reason to use an "analog" approach, I'll use it. But so far, I
can't find any reason to do so. BTW, you would be wiser to realize that
analog can likely be well represented by digital encoding for the problems
we are discussing. I see absolutely no reason to think analog is better than
digital for any of these problems. You simply have a bias against my
approach. And bias is not sufficient reason to disagree with me.

> My point 6) BTW is irrefutable, completely irrefutable, and puts a finger
> bang on why geometry  obviously cannot cope with real objects,  ( although I
> can and must, do a much more extensive job of exposition).

That is ridiculous. First of all, a plastic bag can easily be represented
geometrically as a mesh with length constraints and connectivity
constraints. Of course it doesn't represent every possible transformation of
the bag. It doesn't even make sense to store such a representation. In fact,
its not possible. Your claim that geometry can't represent a plastic bag is
downright dumb and trivially refutable. You could easily use your own ideas
then to "transform" the mesh for matching, although I still claim this is
not the right way to always match objects. In fact, I would dare say it is
often the wrong way to match objects because of the processing and time
cost.