An Update....

I think the following gets to the heart of general AI and what it takes to
achieve it. It also provides us with evidence as to why general AI is so
difficult. With this new knowledge in mind, I think I will be much more
capable now of solving the problems and making it work.

I've come to the conclusion lately that the best hypothesis is better
because it is more predictive and then simpler than other hypotheses (in
that order.... more predictive... then simpler). But, I am amazed at how
difficult it is to quantitatively define more predictive and simpler for
specific problems. This is why I have sometimes doubted the truth of the
statement.

In addition, the observations that the AI gets are not representative of all
observations! This means that if your measure of "predictiveness" depends on
the number of certain observations, it could make mistakes! So, the specific
observations you are aware of may be unrepresentative of the predictiveness
of a hypothesis relative to the truth. If you try to calculate which
hypothesis is more predictive and you don't have the critical observations
that would give you the right answer, you may get the wrong answer! This all
depends of course on your method of calculation, which is quite elusive to
define.

Visual input from screenshots, for example, can be somewhat malicious.
Things can move, appear, disappear or occlude each other suddenly. So,
without sufficient knowledge it is hard to decide whether matches you find
between such large changes are because it is the same object or a different
object. This may indicate that bias and preprogrammed experience should be
introduced to the AI before training. Either that or the training inputs
should be carefully chosen to avoid malicious input and to make them nice
for learning.

This is the "correspondence problem" that is typical of computer vision and
has never been properly solved. Such malicious input also makes it difficult
to learn automatically because the AI doesn't have sufficient experience to
know which changes or transformations are acceptable and which are not. It
is immediately bombarded with malicious inputs.

I've also realized that if a hypothesis is more "explanatory", it may be
better. But quantitatively defining explanatory is also elusive and truly
depends on the specific problems you are applying it to because it is a
heuristic. It is not a true measure of correctness. It is not loyal to the
truth. "More explanatory" is really a heuristic that helps us find
hypothesis that are more predictive. The true measure of whether a
hypothesis is better is simply the most accurate and predictive hypothesis.
That is the ultimate and true measure of correctness.

Also, since we can't measure every possible prediction or every last
prediction (and we certainly can't predict everything), our measure of
predictiveness can't possibly be right all the time! We have no choice but
to use a heuristic of some kind.

So, its clear to me that the right hypothesis is "more predictive and then
simpler". But, it is also clear that there will never be a single measure of
this that can be applied to all problems. I hope to eventually find a nice
model for how to apply it to different problems though. This may be the
reason that so many people have tried and failed to develop general AI. Yes,
there is a solution. But there is no silver bullet that can be applied to
all problems. Some methods are better than others. But I think another major
reason of the failures is that people think they can predict things without
sufficient information. By approaching the problem this way, we compound the
need for heuristics and the errors they produce because we simply don't have
sufficient information to make a good decision with limited evidence. If
approached correctly, the right solution would solve many more problems with
the same efforts than a poor solution would. It would also eliminate some of
the difficulties we currently face if sufficient data is available to learn
from.

In addition to all this theory about better hypotheses, you have to add on
the need to solve problems in reasonable time. This also compounds the
difficulty of the problem and the complexity of solutions.

I am always fascinated by the extraordinary difficulty and complexity of
this problem. The more I learn about it, the more I appreciate it.

Dave