David Jones wrote:
> But, I am amazed at how difficult it is to quantitatively define more
>predictive and simpler for specific problems.

It isn't hard. To measure predictiveness, you assign a probability to each
possible outcome. If the actual outcome has probability p, you score a penalty
of log(1/p) bits. To measure simplicity, use the compressed size of the code
for
your prediction algorithm. Then add the two scores together. That's how it is
done in the Calgary challenge http://www.mailcom.com/challenge/ and in my own
text compression benchmark.

 -- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com