Roger Hicks wrote:
>What's wrong with automation?

It goes away when its maintainer does.  It has in some cases not in fact
been kept up to date.  If it bypasses email, there's no reliable record
of the transactions that actually occurred.

I'm all in favour of automation, as a tool for officers to execute
their obligations.  I have used varying degrees of automation each time
that I have held office in Agora.  But ultimately we need to have an
AI-complete entity (with present technology, a human) responsible for
carrying out the official duties.  If you prefer, the responsibility is
not so much for performing the duties directly, and more for ensuring
that automation is in place, kept up to date, and running smoothly.
*That* can't be delegated to a hundred lines of Perl.

The condition for appropriate use of automation is pretty much that
it's appropriate if it can't be noticed.  The human+program ensemble
has to be responsive to changes in the rules, claims of irregularity,
reinterpretations, and exceptions in crisis situations.  It has to respond
to and in English.  That's all we require, and I'll be impressed if you
can do it without the human.

-zefram