Ed Murphy wrote:
>Did they never show reruns of "Night Court" over there?

No idea.  I don't have a TV.

I don't doubt that fifty dollars plus time served is a common sentence
in the US.  My problems with it as a description are that it's inaccurate
(we have neither dollar fines nor pre-trial loss of liberty) and that the
frequent use of "time served" as a punishment in the US is symptomatic
of some major problems in the US criminal system that I'd rather we
distanced ourselves from rather than attempting or pretending to emulate.
My other problem is with the semantics: the nature and level of punishment
ought to be set in the rule, and it would be better for it to be variable.

>What limits would you suggest?

A maximum of 1 VC equivalent of a common colour would form a nice
continuum with the VC penalty aspect of chokey.

-zefram