c. wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 6:30 AM, ais523 <callforjudgem...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> and if 2029 is modified or repealed, it should be
>> via a scam that's powerful enough to modify it, probably with everyone
>> not involved in the scam try to stop it.
>
> It would be a fitting end for Rule 2029, but a scam to repeal a
> historical rule succeeding in spite of everyone else trying to stop
> it?  I *guarantee* it won't end well.  Having been on both ends of
> scams, they can be fun even for the scammed players, but not if they
> think that the scammers are acting Against the Spirit of the Game, in
> which case it quickly degenerates into ugliness.  And no matter how
> hard I try, I can't entirely suppress the initial knee-jerk reaction
> of "you scammed me, asshole".  If the discussion evolves past that
> stage, scams can make for very good gameplay on both sides, but if it
> doesn't, they cause much grief and deregistration.
>
> In this case, R2029 is such an important rule that the only way I can
> imagine this could work well would be if Goethe and Murphy explicitly
> consented to the repeal if the scam worked (while in-game, trying to
> stop it with every means possible).
>
> R2029, do not go gentle into that good night...

I didn't come up with "it came in on a scam, it should go out on a
scam" (IIRC I first heard it during a phone call with OscarMeyr a year
or two ago) but, having heard it, I agree with it (provided that the
scam clearly does work, i.e. does not rely on a retarded-monkey
interpretation; IIRC the scam that created it, once revealed, was
promptly agreed to have worked).