On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Sean Hunt wrote:
> On 11-06-21 02:27 AM, Alex Smith wrote:
> > --- On Tue, 21/6/11, Pavitra<celestialcognit...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> > > Back on the first hand, I could have refrained from disclosing the
> > > content of the document in question, and while it probably would have
> > > been possible to discover this (the document does not remotely meet the
> > > usual cryptographic standards of unguessability) it would almost
> > > certainly be outside the Agoran standard of reasonable effort to do so.
> > Arguments: Pretty much the first thing I thought of upon seeing the message
> > was to take the SHA-512 hash of "I register." (Unfortunately, I read on
> > before actually doing so.) Arguably, it is not unreasonable effort to
> > reverse a hash when it's /that/ guessable.
> >

> I have to throw a curveball at this one and remind that this is the act of
> registering.
>
> The message context makes it very clear that Pavitra intended to attempt to
> perform the action of registration.
>
> The fact that e subsequently CFJed, however, makes it not entirely clear that
> e did, in fact, want to be registered. It seems that eir intent was more just
> to see what happened and e likely is indifferent to registration. Thus I think
> e is not a player.

Perhaps there is a new interpretation we should subscribe to:  any "purposeful
obfuscation" of a registration attempt does not "indicates reasonably clearly
and
reasonably unambiguously that e intends to become a player at that time."

That being said, Pavitra's current questions apply to messages and actions in
general so this would just see it re-applied to votes or something else.

-G.