On 06/20/2011 10:23 PM, Kerim Aydin wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Pavitra wrote:
>> In particular, such disclosure had not happened at the time of message P
>> and hence [the first CFJ], and had occurred only to a non-public forum
>> at the time of message R and hence [the second CFJ].
>
> Nice.  And tricky.
>
> On the other hand to the above, there's what's known as discovery during
> the CFJ process.  For example, let's say I CFJ on something "Ten years
> ago, Murphy transferred a papyrus to Blob".  And let's say I haven't
> researched the question before calling the question.  And this information
> predates the agoranomic archives.
>
> So I don't know the answer at the time of the CFJ, and, prima facie,
> finding the answer would take some unreasonable effort for most Agorans.
>
> However, when assigned to the CFJ, the Judge asks "does anyone know the
> answer?" and Murphy says "well, yes, I happen to have my sent-mail folder
> from 10 years ago, here's the evidence that I did do this."
>
> Basically, the factual information was set at time P, and if I get
> information during the judicial process (that technically existed at time
> P, even if it was hard to get) then I can judge TRUE for time P.
>
> If we didn't allow such after-the-fact discovery, then for every CFJ,
> the judge would have to "freeze eir mind" and judge based on what e knew
> at time P, discounting arguments in discussion or other facts that are
> later pointed out to em.   Right?
>
> -G.

I feel that there's an important difference here. In the
ten-year-papyrus case, if the evidence doesn't come to light, the judge
can say UNDETERMINED and stop there. With actions-by-announcement,
uncertainty about the message usually causes the action not to happen.

What happens when we have uncertainty about uncertainty -- when we don't
know whether we're going to be able to find out what the message said?