On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Pavitra wrote:
> On 06/20/2011 10:23 PM, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> I feel that there's an important difference here. In the
> ten-year-papyrus case, if the evidence doesn't come to light, the judge
> can say UNDETERMINED and stop there. With actions-by-announcement,
> uncertainty about the message usually causes the action not to happen.

Well I was assuming there was some current-game-reason (action or property
status) that made my contrived question non-IRRELEVANT.  Both cases are
about uncovered truth value and the timing of uncovered truth value.

> What happens when we have uncertainty about uncertainty -- when we don't
> know whether we're going to be able to find out what the message said?

That's true for most types of uncertainty, you could always learn something
new.  In the oft-quoted 1460, Maud uses the example of "counterexamples to
the Riemann hypothesis", even though we technically don't know if we'll find
that out - we could tomorrow! - it was still unreasonable to expect, so a
judge should just throw that kind of thing right out.

But what if there's a good reason to expect new information is imminent?
That's really what you're trying to define a precedent around here.

Then it's more a question on when new certainty is allowed to apply when it
in fact becomes certain.   If the contents of the past are locked at time
P; there hasn't been a precedent about what if uncertainty about P becomes
certain during judicial discovery, especially if its known to someone
privately and being purposefully withheld[1].  I think the rules are well and
truly silent here.

My recent case on voting (3021) found that information needed to be
reasonably available to the public (the typical Agoran) during the voting
period, but in response to the Motion to Reconsider I made a point of
restricting that precedent to the specific clarity requirements for
conditional votes.

[1] Side note:  in the ca. 2002 ruleset, a person could be compelled to
provide information like this via Judicial Orders or face punishment -
though that clock be run out and turned into an Undetermined even over
game-relevant matters; CFJ 1280.

-G.