On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Eric Stucky wrote:
> > The question is, if Murphy doesn't vote, whether the PRESENT stops us
> > from getting to AGAINST (strict perl-or logic interpretation), or whether
> > the AGAINST somehow overrides the PRESENT (common usage/more common sense
> > interpretation and probably the intent).
> >
> > -G.
>
> That's a rather unfortunate feature of endorsement.
>
> Arguments: Since the original document specified in particular a "Perl-style
> 'or'", rather than simply a more general type of "or", the message presented
> a reasonably unambiguous intent to follow a strict logical interpretation. In
> that case, the question at play is whether this intent is stronger than the
> intent to vote "what Murphy votes, otherwise AGAINST".

Turiski,

Your email seems to be the one with funky wrapping; Gondilier's second
message looks fine to me.

Anyway, I thought 'perl-or' wasn't the Boolean logical 'or'.  I thought
'perl-or' was "Do X or die" so that 'or' == 'otherwise'.

(Specifying a Boolean logical OR in the original message would have
guaranteed failure, which I'm guessing wasn't the intent).

-G.