On 16 December 2013 23:42, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> [Players in recent conversation (and everyone!).  Pls comment if this is
> the sort of thing that you might have in mind].
>

> The ANT FARM MANIFESTO
>
>       1.  Beans, Grains, and Drops are each currencies (collectively
>           'crops'; each currency is a 'crop type').
>
>       2.  When a player first becomes a member, e is awarded 5 Beans,
>           5 Grains, and 5 Drops.
>
>       3.  In every nomic week, the Ant Farmer CAN and SHALL award each
>           player 3 crops, where the type of each awarded crop is
>           determined randomly.
>
>       4.  At the beginning of each week:
>           a.  the player(s) who have the greatest number of Beans have
>               their score changed by +1.
>           b.  the player(s) who have the greatest number of Grains have
>               their score changed by +i.
>           c.  the player(s) who have the greatest number of Drops have
>               their score changed by -1.5-1.5i.
>
> Supporting Rule:
> Ant Farm (power-2)
>
>       There exists an Ant Farm, which is an asset belonging to itself.
>       There exists a document called the Ant Farm Manifesto (the Manifesto),
>       which is maintained by the Ant Farmer, which is an office.
>
>       The Ant Farmer's report includes the Manifesto and the disposition
>       of any assets or other entities [hereafter 'Farm Properties'] that
>       are defined solely by the Manifesto.
>
>       The Ant Farm is also contest[*], and a Nomic whose rules are the
>       Ant Farm Manifesto.  All Agoran players are also members in the Ant
>       Farm.
>
>       The text of the Manifesto can either be changed (a) by Agoran Consent,
>       or (b) through mechanisms explicitly defined in the Manifesto.
>       Other changes to the Manifesto are secured.
>
>       Changes to Farm Properties CAN be made only as explicitly described
>       by the Manifesto; otherwise such changes are Secured.
>
>       The Ant Farmer has the general ability to adjudicate conflicts that
>       arise regarding the Ant Farm.  The Courts SHOULD generally defer to
>       the opinions of the Ant Farmer on such matters.
>
>       The Ant Farm, via mechanisms described in the Manifesto, CAN cause
>       a player's score to change.  The Ant Farmer's report SHALL include
>       any recent changes made to score due to the Ant Farm.

Two things:
- I'd like it to reset every now and then, so that it's clear that the
point is to really go to town. Either a fixed time interval, or when
anyone wins, the entire Ant Farm Manifesto reverts to, say, that
state.
- It doesn't have the "make rules around physical law" thing I really
liked with Fall of the Republic, and maybe without it (or something
else) it might be too much just another nomic. On the other hand, such
"hard" rules could be added later, by adding them to the Ant Farm rule
in the ruleset, requiring the Manifesto to conform to them eventually.
At its simplest we could have stuff like restricting how many beans or
whatever someone can hold in storage; for more complex stuff we could
define at a physical law level that beans grow when put in the ground.
Then the Manifesto has to relate to that – maybe it will be illegal to
grow beans in some situations, but always possible.

I'm not saying any subgame needs that split, but I for one would enjoy it.

-Tiger