On 05/01/17 19:24, Aris Merchant wrote:
> I disagree. The point of offices is that in least in theory they
> provide consistency. The fact that they haven't been doing that lately
> means that we may need to change the incentive system, for instance by
> penalizing tardy officers, or **by creating a direct reward for
> deputization.**
This actually may be the best idea, especially because of it's simplicity.
> It doesn't mean we need to get rid of them. Offices are a significant
> part of Agoran history, and have generally proven fairly effective at
> completing the work needed to keep Agora running. While I understand
> you wouldn't get rid of all of them, the rulesets need to come out on
> a regular basis, as do the meta-reports, agency reports, and CFJ
> transcripts.
Point taken on meta-reports, rulesets, and agency reports. Unless I'm
mistaken nobody tracks CFJ findings right now, which I was trying to
sneak back in.
> Allowing these to lapse without any one person responsible for them
> would have worrying consequences for the game. It was a pain for
> everyone to have to look up the rule changes since November. This
> risks being worse, by removing the consistency and accountability
> provided by these 4 offices.
I can see your points about offices being more accountable, but I still
want to make rewards more directly predicated on work.

A potential compromise: Lower the payrate for all offices and add a
separate payment for reports published, paid to the player who published
it. An unproductive officeholder would get some but not much, a
productive one would get a lot. Deputization would have a more direct
reward. And if an officeholder is becoming busy, e could resign without
losing pay for eir previous work.