On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 22:34 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say something is
> "different" than contracts.  If it's a "supplementary legal code", it
> described a set of usages to follow.  If that's what you call a
> contract, it's a tautology to say all SLCs are contracts...?  Maybe
> I'm missing your distinctions here.

I consider something to be contract-like if it works as an agreement
between a set of people, enforced via SHALL-like mechanisms (and
eventually via the courts/Referee). Typically contracts have text and
often internal state, but those aren't really requirements.

Something like the first version of Promises (effectively, Agencies
that posted a fixed message, and for which the ability to sue them
could be traded) would be an example of an agreement system that's
clearly different from Contracts; they couldn't meaningfully have
internal state, they could (but weren't) be used to form the basis of
an economy, etc..

--
ais523