On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 12:09 AM Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 2020-06-07 00:20, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:

> >> AGAINST; inventing Unnecessary Terms of Art for Things that don't
> >> Require them decreases the Readability of the Ruleset.
> >
> > I question whether writing out the extremely long-phrase "the Agoran
> > Decision on whether to adopt a proposal" is really any more readable?
>
> For me, "Referendum" is just another term I have to commit to memory.
> I'm going to have to remember "Agoran Decision" anyway. But if I'm
> reading along and I see the term "Referendum", I'm going to have to do a
> search in the ruleset to see what that means, then somehow find my place
> again to be able to continue reading.
>
> If I am a new player reading some rules and I come across the term
> "statute", then I'm going to have to figure out what that means. I read
> up on that, see that a statute is a subtype of "instrument". Then I have
> to read up on instruments to see that an instrument is a type of
> "document". So I will have to read up on that, too. I might even get
> sidetracked on any of those steps reading through rules about each of
> these terms' special attributes just to figure out how one thing works.
>
> Recursive subtyping that spans the entire ruleset, especially when the
> supertype is more explicit in its purpose, just leads to frustration.
> For some it might work. For me, it's usually confusing and it causes me
> to become apathetic about actually learning the rules.

Okay. It's different for me, but I understand and respect your
position. Thank you for explaining.

-Aris
          • Re: ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
            • ... Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
          • Re: ... Alex Smith via agora-discussion
            • ... Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
              • ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
              • ... nch via agora-discussion
              • ... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
            • ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
  • DIS: Re: BUS: Re: OFF... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
    • Re: DIS: Re: BUS... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
      • Re: DIS: Re:... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
        • Re: DIS:... Rebecca via agora-discussion