On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 5:28 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 5:51 AM Forest Sweeney via agora-discussion
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Let's give everyone a more equal chance to be relevant.
> > >

> So right now, Officers' only reward is increased voting strength (I
> believe), and the game is growing with lots of new players so
> officers' work is getting harder.

Yes, and as a (new) Officer, I'm aware of that.

Fortunately, other offices have other advantages. The Tailor can
arbitrarily hand out Gray Ribbons, the Assessor gets an exceptional
first-move advantage on scamming new rules, the Arbitor can subtly but
significantly mold the whole game itself through interpretation by fudging
who gets which CfJ. Other offices get other similar advantages through
their own special actions, some, like Ricemastor (which only tracks and has
no special actions of its own), arguably gets none of that kind. But *even
then*, they still get ribbon benefits as well (eg. Green, Emerald; which
may not be attractive for the hyper-veterans, but they are still benefits
which may motivate newer players and serve as 'payment' still, like myself).

None of those things would change.

> And of course, an influx of new
> players *already* dilutes that strength.  What do you have in mind to
> compensate for their time & effort if you nerf their only benefit?
>
> -G.

It's curious that you'd take that position.

But, no. I don't think that any player deserves ~4 times the voting
strength of a newbie, regardless of the reason. I want other players to be
able to play nomic, especially newbies, and they need a relevant amount of
voting strength in order to do so. I want them to matter.

With radiance and Stamps seemingly on their way out, I believe that your
Officer salary problem is part of a larger problem of Agora overall needing
a proper economy again, not a voting strength problem.