On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 11:47 AM Yachay Wayllukuq via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> So, only someone who already is in power and a beneficiary of the system
> should be entitled to propose change things?

Er, I never said you couldn't propose.  I was giving you feedback on
how I felt about voting for it.

It's a generally interesting point you raise, in that we've (over the
years) frequently discussed about not being too entrenched, and giving
new players the ability to jump right in without huge handicaps.  That
said, we are a small community, that takes some service to maintain
via officers, and it makes sense to give longer-serving players at
least something of a boost - it's not fair to their genuine effort
over months to achieve a certain position (become "already in power"),
to say a brand-new player jumps in with equal footing.  Also, in
particular, rule changes often impact officers' jobs, so it seems
quite reasonable to give them a bit more say in changes that could
include their office duties.

And the thing with my "accusation" is - you've already done it once,
to be fair.  We'd been playing with proposal-based radiance awards for
about a year, which were seen as fairly minor rewards for encouraging
the writing of good proposals.  But within a short time of joining the
game, your own voting patterns - making something uncomfortably
"political" that was never intended or played that way - became
onerous enough that you basically crashed the system (brought us to
the point of repealing it, rather than deal with your voting
patterns).  In doing so, the collateral damage included removing
radiance awards for Judges, so Judges no longer get a little bonus for
judging.  I honestly thought that was a bit thoughtless.  This is
exactly what I want to avoid again, so I'm quite skeptical about
arguments to repeal something that gives bonuses or reward-for-labor
(especially longstanding 'service' offices where people aren't just
running their own subgame for less than a week :) ) when there's no
concrete proposal of anything to compensate.

But enough negativity there (sorry) - I don't mean for this to express
any actual metagame annoyance, just thoughts about power tradeoffs and
design, and I very much look forward to seeing if nix's ideas might
work.

-G.