Herald's Report - near Bastille Day edition (July 16, 2008)

                       -----------------------
                       HERALD'S HISTORY CORNER
                       -----------------------

    'Allons enfants de la Patrie, Le jour de gloire est arrivé!'

    Players used to be able to Call for Rebellion.  This was a multi-
    part process.  First, you switched yourself to being a Rebel (rather
    than being Abiding).  Being a Rebel meant incurring a Blot penalty
    each month.  [Aside:  Blots were our old form of punishment: the
    anti-currency of naughtiness.  Rules specified blot penalties for
    breaking the rules; having blots reduced your voting power and other
    abilities, and you had to spend currency to remove them.  You were
    declared lawless and exiled at 20 blots.  The Miscreant patent title
    belonged to any person with 10 or more blots.  The fugitives listed
    below fled the game with one or more blots].

    Once a week, a rebel could Call for Rebellion.  The rebellion would
    succeed if a "rolled" random percentile was equal or less than the
    percentage of rebels among players.  The price of a failed rebellion
    was more blots for rebels, with the Patent Title Pugachev going to
    the failed instigator.  The benefit of a successful rebellion was an
    expunging of blots of all Rebels, the resetting of Ordinary votes of
    Abiding players, the removal of Abiding Officers from office, and
    the Patent Title Robespierre going to the instigator.

    For a while, Rebels who publicly hummed a few bars of 'La Marseillaise'
    on July 14 would count as two Rebels when the die roll was resolved.

                             ----------
                             EVENTS LOG
                             ----------

 19 Jun 2008 22:30:39 -0400
       -IADoP awards Three Months Long Service to Iammars, Wooble.
       -IADoP attempts to award Three, Six, Nine, and Twelve months
        Long Service to Zefram, but Zefram's got em already.

 24 Jun 2008 21:45:40 +0100
       -Deputising for the Herald, ais523 awards ais523 the Patent
        Title of Champion.
       -Deputising for the Herald, ais523 awards ais523 the Patent
        Title of Minister without Portfolio.

 24 Jun 2008 23:00:07 -0600
       Proposal 5559 creates the defined Patent Title Elder Lurker, and
       awards it to David Nicol and Michael Norrish

 25 Jun 2008 10:20:28 -0600
       root assigns July prerogatives.

 29 Jun 2008 13:00:06 +0100
       Zefram sings Happy Birthday:
        D D E D G Gb / D D E D A G / D D D B G Gb E / C C B G A G
       and wins by Musicianship, though e may now be in a copyright
       dispute.

 30 Jun 2008 12:36:30 -0700
       -Herald Goethe awards the Patent Title Champion to ehird.
       -Herald Goethe awards the Patent Title Champion to Zefram.
       -Herald Goethe awards the Patent Title Minister without Portfolio
        to Zefram.
       -The Patent Title Minister without Portfolio is revoked from
        root.

 [Time of Last Report]

  7 Jul 2008 15:49:00 -0400
       Attempted action by Sgeo:  "With Agoran Consent, I act on behalf
       of Agora to award myself and all supporters a Win."  Success of
       action subject to CFJ 2055.

  7 Jul 2008 15:59:46 -0400
       Sgeo posts (or attempts to post subject to CFJ 2055) a win
       announcement, announcing that the following players have met
       the Win condition of Win by Extortion:
            -Sgeo
            -ais523
            -ihope
            -Olipro
            -cctoide
            -root
            -BobTHJ

  7 Jul 2008 (on or about)
       Goethe, ehird, Quazie try to jump on the Extortion bandwagon
       after the fact (probably didn't work, pending CFJ 2066).

                       =====================
                        THE SCROLL OF AGORA
                       =====================

              Tierced palewise sable, argent, and sable,
              charged with a quill and an axe in saltire,
              proper, and in the chief
                                 a capital letter A,
                               gules.

                               ____  _        /|
                    DARWIN ->  \_  |/ |      / \
                              __/    /      |  |
            <- DSV          /      /        |  \
                        _   \      \_       |   \
                  MORNINGTON CRESCENT ->    /    |  <- GOETHE BARRIER
                 _ _/       |         \_/\_/     \     REEF
                / \\ <- SHARK BAY      |         |
               /            |          |          \ <- TOWNSVILLE
            ___/            |          |           \_
         __/                |          |  .___o  )   |
        /                   |          | ~~vv ===~~~ <-OSCAR'S MIRE
       /           O <- SHERLOCK NESS  |             |/\
      |                     |          |               |_
      |                     |          |  EMERALD ->     \
      \                     |__________=_____,             \ BRISBANE
       /                    |                |             | <-'
       \      O <- LT. ANNE MOORE            |        __  _\
        \                   |                |_______/  \/ |  LORD
         |                __/\      <- TARCOOLA           /   HOWE ->
         \  PERTH      __/    \_             /           /
          | <-'  _  __/         |   /| IVANHOE ->       | <-.
          /    _/ \/             \ / /       |         /  WOLLONGONG
         |_   /     <- ESPERANTO  v /__     |_        / <- CANBERRA
           \_/                         \    | \_    _|
                  __   __              |    |   \__/
                 __ \ / __              \___=_  ___|
                /  \ | /  \     MANUBOURNE -> \/
                    \|/
               _,.---v---._                 /\__
      /\__/\  /            \                |   |
      \_  _/ /              \                |  /
        \ \_|           @ __|                \_/ <- HOBART
         \                \_
          \     ,__/       /
        ~~~`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~~

                 "Agora n'est pas une fontaine."

                  MINISTERS WITHOUT PORTFOLIO
                  Levi             21-Oct-07 // Not a player
                  pikhq            31-Dec-07 <- Speaker
                  BobTHJ            2-Mar-08
                  ais523           24-Jun-08
                  Zefram           30-Jun-08

                  Prerogatives for June 2008
                   Default Officeholder      root
                   Default Justice           Murphy
                   Wielder of Veto           pikhq
                   Wielder of Rubberstamp    BobTHJ

                  Prerogatives for July 2008
                   Default Officeholder      pikhq
                   Default Justice           BobTHJ
                   Wielder of Veto           ais523
                   Wielder of Rubberstamp    root

     CHAMPION BY:
           CARDS  Goddess Eris, Goethe, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root
         CONTEST  Goddess Eris, OscarMeyr
          MANIAC  Craig, root
    MUSICIANSHIP  Zefram
         PARADOX  Goethe, Murphy, root, BobTHJ, ais523, ehird
          POINTS  Elysion, Goethe, Levi, Murphy, Steve
        PROPOSAL  Human Point Two, Morendil, Steve (x3), Andre (x3)
       TROMBONES  Blob, elJefe, General Chaos, Steve
     UNSPECIFIED  Chuck, Dave Bowen, favor, Garth, Ian, Jeffrey, KoJen,
                  Michael, Oerjan, Swann, t, Timothy, Troublemaker at
                  Large, Vanyel(x2), Wes(x2).  *(7/6): Chuck, elJefe,
                  Kelly, KoJen, Morendil, Steve, Swann, Troublemaker at
                  Large; *(4/3): Chuck, Kelly, KoJen, Steve,
                  Troublemaker at Large, Wes; *(3/2): Chuck, Kelly,
                  Steve; *(5/3): Kelly, Steve; *(11/6): Kelly
                  *(N/P): Full patent title is Champion*(N/P) where N/P
                  is the winning ratio.

                   ---------------------------
                   OTHER DEFINED PATENT TITLES
                   ---------------------------

                               BARD
                  Goethe, Maud, Elysion, Sherlock

                           ELDER LURKER
                        David Nicol, Michael

                              SCAMSTER
                    Troublemaker at Large, Waggie,
               Goethe, Steve, Murphy, root, OscarMeyr

                        LONG SERVICE AWARDS
      Three Months:   Goddess Eris, Goethe, Sherlock, Michael, Murphy,
                      OscarMeyr, root, Iammers, Wooble, Zefram
      Six Months:     Michael, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root, Sherlock,
                                        Goethe, Zefram
      Nine Months:    Michael, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root, Goethe, Zefram
      Twelve Months:  Michael, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root, Goethe, Zefram

                         HIGHER EDUCATION
    Bachelor of Nomic (B.N.):                elJefe, favor, Steve,
                                             Vanyel, Kolja A., Murphy
    Doctor of Nomic History (D.N.Hist.):     Swann, Vlad
    Doctor of Nomic Philosophy (D.N.Phil.):  Steve

               ----------------------------------
                UNDEFINED BUT HELD PATENT TITLES
               ----------------------------------
:                   Andre
Admiral:            Goethe
Agoran Spy:         pikhq
Agoraphobe:         Antimatter, BethMo, Blue
Boor:               General Chaos, Macross, Murphy, Sherlock, elJefe,
                     Crito
Came Back in a Puff: BobTHJ
Current Champion:   The Goddess Eris
Distributor:        Steve
Entrepreneur:       Chuck
Exorcist:           Oerjan
Fantasy Rule Catalyst:    Peter
Fantasy Rule Compulsion:  Zefram
Fantasy Rule Conspirator: OscarMeyr
Fantasy Rule Creator:     Murphy
Hero:               Peter Suber, Chuck Carroll, Douglas Hofstadter
Historian:          Vlad
Honorless Worm:     Kelly
Left in a Huff:     Waggie, Gecko, Kelly (x3!), Swann, KoJen, Zefram,
                    Vlad, Andre, Goethe, BobTHJ
Maniac:             Craig, Peekee, root
Miscreant:          Pakaran
Nomic Thief:        Swann
Originator:         Chuck
Plagiarist:         ehird
Pugachev:           Goethe
Robespierre:        Goethe
Samurai:            Michael, Murphy
Shogun:             Michael
Sorcerer's Apprentice:   comex

                      Winners' Cups
     Paper Cup:     Dave Bowen, favor, Garth, Harlequin, Ian, Jeffrey,
                    Michael, Murphy, Oerjan, Timothy, Vanyel
     Tin Cup:       Blob
     Glass Cup:     Swann, elJefe, KoJen, Troublemaker at Large, Wes
     Crystal Cup:   Andre, Chuck, Morendil
     Gold Cup:      General Chaos
     Ruby Cup:      Steve
     Supreme Cup:   Crito

      FUGITIVES (Players who left Under a Cloud, unofficial list)

                 Player         Date deregistered
                 ---------------------------------
                 Elde            4 Oct 97
                 Time Agent     16 Apr 98