Herald's Report - near Bastille Day edition (August 31, 2008)

                       -----------------------
                       HERALD'S HISTORY CORNER
                       -----------------------

   [I was writing a bit about the history of crime and punishment but it
    was turning into a heavy thesis and I ran low on time.  In the
    meantime, I'll mention the title Admiral since off the top of my
    head in the five minutes I've got right now I know that history.]

    For a year or so in 2004 (?) it was not possible to win the game as
    an individual.  Players were grouped randomly into teams, and when a
    team accumulated the right number of points, it won.  After a win,
    teams were reshuffled with automatic balancing trades (e.g. switching
    the highest scorer on the winning team with the lowest on the losing).
    A typical team score report is here:

http://www.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-official/2004-May/001415.html
    Scoring was mostly for voting events, being elected as an officer, etc.,
    so in reality, while individuals would occasionally "play for a score",
    collectively scores accumulated pretty randomly in the course of events.

    A player could name emself Team Captain without objection from other
    team members; when a team won, the Team Captain won the Admiral title.

    The team system was repealed because the lack of true "team play" or
    "team spirit" if you will made it fairly unexciting.

                             ----------
                             EVENTS LOG
                             ----------

  7 Jul 2008 15:49:00 -0400
       Attempted action by Sgeo:  "With Agoran Consent, I act on behalf
       of Agora to award myself and all supporters a Win."  Success of
       action subject to CFJ 2055.

  7 Jul 2008 15:59:46 -0400
       Sgeo posts (ineffectively by CFJ 2055) a win announcement,
       announcing that the following players have met the Win condition
       of Win by Extortion:
            -Sgeo
            -ais523
            -ihope
            -Olipro
            -cctoide
            -root
            -BobTHJ

  7 Jul 2008 (on or about)
       Goethe, ehird, Quazie try to jump on the Extortion bandwagon
       after the fact (didn't work, CFJ 2066).

 [Time of Last Report]

  28 Aug 2008 11:25:38 -0600
       BobTHJ announces that ais523 has won by points (a win announcement)
       as of report time there are no challenges to this assertion.

  28 Aug 2008 13:50:17 -0700
       - Herald awards Patent Title Champion to ais532.
       - Herald awards (second copy of) Patent Title Minister Without
         Portfolio to ais523.

                       =====================
                        THE SCROLL OF AGORA
                       =====================

              Tierced palewise sable, argent, and sable,
              charged with a quill and an axe in saltire,
              proper, and in the chief
                                 a capital letter A,
                               gules.

                               ____  _        /|
                    DARWIN ->  \_  |/ |      / \
                              __/    /      |  |
            <- DSV          /      /        |  \
                        _   \      \_       |   \
                  MORNINGTON CRESCENT ->    /    |  <- GOETHE BARRIER
                 _ _/       |         \_/\_/     \     REEF
                / \\ <- SHARK BAY      |         |
               /            |          |          \ <- TOWNSVILLE
            ___/            |          |           \_
         __/                |          |  .___o  )   |
        /                   |          | ~~vv ===~~~ <-OSCAR'S MIRE
       /           O <- SHERLOCK NESS  |             |/\
      |                     |          |               |_
      |                     |          |  EMERALD ->     \
      \                     |__________=_____,             \ BRISBANE
       /                    |                |             | <-'
       \      O <- LT. ANNE MOORE            |        __  _\
        \                   |                |_______/  \/ |  LORD
         |                __/\      <- TARCOOLA           /   HOWE ->
         \  PERTH      __/    \_             /           /
          | <-'  _  __/         |   /| IVANHOE ->       | <-.
          /    _/ \/             \ / /       |         /  WOLLONGONG
         |_   /     <- ESPERANTO  v /__     |_        / <- CANBERRA
           \_/                         \    | \_    _|
                  __   __              |    |   \__/
                 __ \ / __              \___=_  ___|
                /  \ | /  \     MANUBOURNE -> \/
                    \|/
               _,.---v---._                 /\__
      /\__/\  /            \                |   |
      \_  _/ /              \                |  /
        \ \_|           @ __|                \_/ <- HOBART
         \                \_
          \     ,__/       /
        ~~~`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~~

                 "Agora n'est pas une fontaine."

                  MINISTERS WITHOUT PORTFOLIO
                  Levi             21-Oct-07 // Not a player
                  pikhq            31-Dec-07 <- Speaker
                  BobTHJ            2-Mar-08
                  ais523           24-Jun-08
                  Zefram           30-Jun-08
                  ais523           28-Aug-08

                  Prerogatives for August 2008
                        [Not Assigned]

                  Prerogatives for September 2008
                        [Not Assigned]

     CHAMPION BY:
           CARDS  Goddess Eris, Goethe, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root
         CONTEST  Goddess Eris, OscarMeyr
          MANIAC  Craig, root
    MUSICIANSHIP  Zefram
         PARADOX  Goethe, Murphy, root, BobTHJ, ais523, ehird
          POINTS  Elysion, Goethe, Levi, Murphy, Steve, ais523
        PROPOSAL  Human Point Two, Morendil, Steve (x3), Andre (x3)
       TROMBONES  Blob, elJefe, General Chaos, Steve
     UNSPECIFIED  Chuck, Dave Bowen, favor, Garth, Ian, Jeffrey, KoJen,
                  Michael, Oerjan, Swann, t, Timothy, Troublemaker at
                  Large, Vanyel(x2), Wes(x2).  *(7/6): Chuck, elJefe,
                  Kelly, KoJen, Morendil, Steve, Swann, Troublemaker at
                  Large; *(4/3): Chuck, Kelly, KoJen, Steve,
                  Troublemaker at Large, Wes; *(3/2): Chuck, Kelly,
                  Steve; *(5/3): Kelly, Steve; *(11/6): Kelly
                  *(N/P): Full patent title is Champion*(N/P) where N/P
                  is the winning ratio.

                   ---------------------------
                   OTHER DEFINED PATENT TITLES
                   ---------------------------

                               BARD
                  Goethe, Maud, Elysion, Sherlock

                           ELDER LURKER
                        David Nicol, Michael

                              SCAMSTER
                    Troublemaker at Large, Waggie,
               Goethe, Steve, Murphy, root, OscarMeyr

                           LEFT IN A HUFF
           Waggie, Gecko, Kelly (x3!), Swann, KoJen, Zefram,
                    Vlad, Andre, Goethe, BobTHJ

                        LONG SERVICE AWARDS
      Three Months:   Goddess Eris, Goethe, Sherlock, Michael, Murphy,
                      OscarMeyr, root, Iammers, Wooble, Zefram
      Six Months:     Michael, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root, Sherlock,
                                        Goethe, Zefram
      Nine Months:    Michael, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root, Goethe, Zefram
      Twelve Months:  Michael, Murphy, OscarMeyr, root, Goethe, Zefram

                         HIGHER EDUCATION
    Bachelor of Nomic (B.N.):                elJefe, favor, Steve,
                                             Vanyel, Kolja A., Murphy
    Doctor of Nomic History (D.N.Hist.):     Swann, Vlad
    Doctor of Nomic Philosophy (D.N.Phil.):  Steve

               ----------------------------------
                UNDEFINED BUT HELD PATENT TITLES
               ----------------------------------
:                   Andre
Admiral:            Goethe
Agoran Spy:         pikhq
Agoraphobe:         Antimatter, BethMo, Blue
Boor:               General Chaos, Macross, Murphy, Sherlock, elJefe,
                     Crito
Came Back in a Puff: BobTHJ
Current Champion:   The Goddess Eris
Distributor:        Steve
Entrepreneur:       Chuck
Exorcist:           Oerjan
Fantasy Rule Catalyst:    Peter
Fantasy Rule Compulsion:  Zefram
Fantasy Rule Conspirator: OscarMeyr
Fantasy Rule Creator:     Murphy
Hero:               Peter Suber, Chuck Carroll, Douglas Hofstadter
Historian:          Vlad
Honorless Worm:     Kelly
Maniac:             Craig, Peekee, root
Miscreant:          Pakaran
Nomic Thief:        Swann
Originator:         Chuck
Plagiarist:         ehird
Pugachev:           Goethe
Robespierre:        Goethe
Samurai:            Michael, Murphy
Shogun:             Michael
Sorcerer's Apprentice:   comex

                      Winners' Cups
     Paper Cup:     Dave Bowen, favor, Garth, Harlequin, Ian, Jeffrey,
                    Michael, Murphy, Oerjan, Timothy, Vanyel
     Tin Cup:       Blob
     Glass Cup:     Swann, elJefe, KoJen, Troublemaker at Large, Wes
     Crystal Cup:   Andre, Chuck, Morendil
     Gold Cup:      General Chaos
     Ruby Cup:      Steve
     Supreme Cup:   Crito

      FUGITIVES (Players who left Under a Cloud, unofficial list)

                 Player         Date deregistered
                 ---------------------------------
                 Elde            4 Oct 97
                 Time Agent     16 Apr 98