Archived at
https://github.com/AgoraNomic/Reportor/tree/master/weekly_summaries

Below is the report for the week of 2020-10-19..25:

Note: Many of this week's messages were sent to the backup list.

# Summary

This week, we made an unplanned field trip to Tue, Agora's backup list,
due to an outage. It worked well enough, but we decided to set up a new
backup list, since we're not sure we can contact Tue's admin.

Ironically, the list outage reminded us what a great and consistent job
omd's been doing as Distributor. Aris proposes to grant em the title of
Hero of Agora Nomic. This week we also saw appreciation for Jason's
technical work and Cuddlebeam's artistic endeavours.

Voting opened for two significant proposals this week: Aris adds
inflation to the economy, and nix lets players choose Ministries to
Focus on.

The contract-based economy also continues to transform: Cuddlebeam
proposes a currency backed by obligations to help someone win; and also
creates a new currency, Potatoes backed by nothing (buy up while the
price is still low!).

Cuddlebeam's AGORA QUEST, an interactive story started last week,
continues: a fictional version of the totally real universe of Agora.

Some draft proposals to look out for: Jason revives G.'s proto for
"stones" that grant special powers, and Aris proposes some replacements
for our definition of "person".

The usual variety of rule questions were raised this week, and Aris
submitted some nice CFJ annotations for the ruleset to help keep it all
organized.

# Voting

* Voting begins on Proposals 8507-8515.

  * Jason had eir zombie submit many of them, listing Jason as
    co-author, in an attempt to get a Lime ribbon. G. reacts by voting
    AGAINST those, and then Jason responds by pledging not to go for a
    lime ribbon.

  * The proposals:

    * Make omd a Hero of Agora Nomic. (8513)

    * Add inflation to the economy. (8514)

      * An ambiguity was brought up during voting in how some numbers
        are computed, but it doesn't seem likely to sink the proposal.
        Aris (the author) proposes a fix (thread: "[Proposal] Asset
        Rounding").

    * Redo the Ministry system. Each player chooses eir ministry and
      gets an associated benefit. (8515)

      * A missing definition was identified during voting, but it
        doesn't seem like a deal-breaker.

    * Allow late birthday gifts (revised). (8507)

    * Make it harder to get Lime Ribbons. (8512)

    * Fixes and other minor changes:

      * A technicality around zombie auctions. (8508)

      * Increase R2124's power to prevent an escalation scam. (8509)

      * Re-introduce a restriction on pending during festivals. (8510)

      * Make VP wins "indirect". (8511)

# Mailing lists

See also: Appreciation

* There was some trouble with the mailing lists this week. Starting
  partway through Monday, the main lists hosted at agoranomic.org
  stopped working, and we switched to the backup list. Our Distributor,
  omd, got it working again on Sunday.

  * omd posted an explanation with subject "[Distributor] List
    postmortem".

* Gaelan, nix, Aris and Trigon set up a new mailing list and the
  Registrar announces intent to make it public. Thread: "[Registrar] New
  public forum (contains intent to flip Publicity)"

  * (For different technical reasons, the announcement of intent does
    not appear in any of the four prior mailing lists' archives: OFF,
    BUS, DIS, BAK. But it was sent directly to all players, and also
    appears in the new list's archive.)

  * There was some discussion leading up to it in the thread "BAK's SPF
    settings are incorrect". The list administrator doesn't seem to be
    involved in Agora and we're not sure if we can contact em if needed.
    On IRC/Discord, it was suggested that we find something managed by a
    dedicated company.

  * There's discussion on the thread about ways to make sure it really
    becomes Public, in case some technicality arises, including
    ratification and rulebending.

* ais523 identifies a problem with the backup list's SPF settings.

# Appreciation

* Aris pays Cuddlebeam a grant of 50 Coins in appreciation of Agora
  Quest. Thread: "I Appreciate Our Humble Agoran Farmer [attn. Herald,
  Treasuror]"

* Aris proposes to grant our Distributor omd the title of Hero of Agora
  Nomic. Thread: "[Proposal] Our Heroic Distributor"

* The Herald, with players' support, awards Jason the title of
  Roboticist General "in recognition of eir technical services to
  Agora".

# Contracts and other agreements

* Cuddlebeam drafts a contract that would create a currency,
  "Victorias", backed by obligations to vote for someone to win. Thread:
  "humble agoran farmer makes money, literally (Proto Contract)"

  * There's some discussion in the thread about promises vs. contracts.

* Falsifian proposes some changes to the Dragon QuickExchange contract,
  but Gaelan points out a problem. Thread: "[Dragon Proposal]
  QuickExchange fixup and reports"

* Cuddlebeam creates a contract letting people gain one "Potato" per
  week with no clear purpose, and people join. Threads: "humble agoran
  farmer, farms [Attn. Notary]", "[Farmer] Potato report".

* Murphy sets up a reverse auction using a promise. Thread: "Reverse
  auction (attn Notary)"

# Rule-smithing

Various proposals were submitted this week; not all are listed here.

* Aris submits a proposal for a "Buoyant Economy" with inflation, which
  e drafted last week. Threads: "The Buoyant Economy: The Actual Draft",
  "[Proposal] The Buoyant Economy"

* Jason brings back an old proto-proposal by G. for "Stones" that grant
  players special powers. Thread: "[Proto] Stones"

* Aris drafts to possible replacements for the definition of "person",
  aiming to make them simpler and a bit more inclusive, with CFJ 3877 in
  mind. Thread: "Personhood Protos"

* Murphy drafts a regulation for a reverse auction. Thread:
  "Proto-Regulation: Reverse Auctions"

# Rule questions

* Jason finds an escalation scam involving R2124 and submits a proposal
  to fix it by raising its power. Thread: "[Proposals] Lime Bait [attn.
  Treasuror]"

* Was G.'s recent attempt to cause people to win the game with
  Rulebending successful? Yes: Murphy judges CFJ 3887 TRUE. Threads:
  "[CFJ] Re: BUS: Covering My Bases", "[Arbitor] CFJ 3887 Assigned to
  Murphy"

* Can a message to the discussion list be a public message if it's
  clearly intended to be? No (at least, not while we know someone's not
  described to that discussion list): Gaelan judges CFJ 3886 FALSE.

* Aris submits some new CFJ annotations, and the Rulekeepor pays em in
  accordance with eir pledge "CFJ annotations please".

* Is an empty email body with subject line indicating it's a report
  actually a self-ratifying report? No: G. judges CFJ 3885 FALSE.

# Miscellaneous

* Cuddlebeam continues the "Agora Quest" interactive story e started
  last week. Other players can pay to vote for what the protagonist
  does. Thread: "AGORA QUEST"

* Our newly elected Coopor, G., places eir first bargains on the barrel.

* ATMunn adds a couple of trade promises to the Library. Thread:
  "[Promise] friendly neighborhood notary does business"

* This month's first Victory Auction begins. Bids are expressed in silly
  ways. Thread: "[Treasuror] Victory Auction of October 2020"

--
Falsifian