From:   Meng-Ying Li [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wed 12/8/2004 6:36 PM
To:     Digby Millikan
Cc:     ai-geostats
Subject:        Re: [ai-geostats] Re: Sill versus least-squares classical variance estimate
Hi Digby and All,

I did a little experiment on the idea that Digby mentioned: The sill will
estimate the population variance, but found it not true in my experiment:

1. I generated a set of one-dimentional data with 27 points on regular
   unit spacings, which I'd like to take it as the true, or population
   value. On purpose, I generate the data so it has an influence range of
   three length units.
2. I calculated the experimental variogram. Notice that the variogram is
   the population variogram. The sill value is around 2.8.
3. But the population variance is 2.39, lower than the sill value.

This confirms my doubt about using sill value as the estimate of
population variance, since I calculate the variogram and variance based on
all data points. Please tell me what you think. The data I generated are
as follows:

0.056970748
0.14520424
0.849710204
1.650514605
1.101666385
1.015177986
2.150259206
2.830780659
0.223495817
-2.47615958
-3.372697392
-0.530685611
0.786582177
0.970673
0.674755256
0.338461632
1.020874834
0.410936991
1.702892405
2.649748012
4.290179731
3.442015668
1.488818953
0.862788738
0.728709892
2.398182914
1.522546427

DISCLAIMER:
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Roxar Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats