From:   Digby Millikan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wed 12/8/2004 7:32 PM
To:     ai-geostats
Subject:        Re: [ai-geostats] Re: Sill versus least-squares classical variance estimate
RE: [ai-geostats] Re: Sill versus least-squares classical variance
estimateColin,

 You misunderstood me, the 1 million data is the total unknown dataset. Say
you have a volume in a
mine and it's volume is 1 million 1 metre core samples. You drill the volume
and have a sample set
of 1000 1m core samples. You then analyse the statistics of the 1000 samples
to try and estimate
the variance of the total volume (1 million core samples).  So your estimate
of the variance comes
from the 1000 samples. You can plot the variogram of the 1000 samples and
you can also calculate
it's variance. You are trying to estimate the variance of the 1 million
peices of core which you do not
have. So you must decide wether your 1000 sample set is a true
representation of the 1 million.
Our argument is that samples within the 1000 which are clustered together do
not create a good
representation of the true dataset and will create a biased estimate.

Digby
www.users.on.net/~digbym

DISCLAIMER:
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Roxar Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats